General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New chain question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New chain question

So I just got a new D.I.D 520 X-ring chain, and was wondering, do these chains come ready to rivit or do you have to buy the rivits, just like you have to buy a chain tool?

Old 05-14-2005, 10:14 PM
Default RE: New chain question

Maybe use some hairspray and bubblegum..make sure it is compatible with drive chain...J/K
The chain masterlink that came with it is either a rivet " type" or a clip type...if it came with the rivet style masterlink you just need the chain tool to "mushroom" the masterlink pins and your chain will be "riveted" otherwise you will need to buy that style of masterlink or use the CLIP style if it came with it.

Old 05-14-2005, 10:16 PM

Can you use anything else besides the chain tool to try and rivit the master link?

Old 05-14-2005, 11:01 PM

I wouldn't try to use anything else to do this......this is your chain......you will be riding fast when the "good enough" remedy un does itself! If you don't wanna use a chain tool, take it to a local shop and they can do it for you lickety split! Jus know how long your chain has to be and have it ready to press when you take it to them, they may charge you like 5 or 10 bones, but worth doing it right![&:]

Old 05-14-2005, 11:55 PM

Well does anyone want to come to my house and rivit my chain for me? J/K... I'll see what I can do.

Old 05-15-2005, 05:26 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: dlbinford

Well does anyone want to come to my house and rivit my chain for me? J/K... I'll see what I can do.
Sorry dude -- TX is a little out of my house call range[8D]

Old 05-18-2005, 02:03 PM

Well I got my new sprokets and chain on yesterday. I went down 1 in front and 3 up in the back and WOW! what a difference. But now I have a new question, I seems like after changing to the new sprockets that now my speedo is off. It'll say 80 but it doesn't feel like 80. Would the sproket change throw off the speedo, and if so how can I readjust it so that it doesn't seem like Im at a high RPM in a low gear?

Old 05-18-2005, 03:10 PM

Your speedo is WAAYYYY off now, best way to check it is with a GPS system or use mile markers and time your self, or pace your self next to someone that has a stock set up on thier bike. I would bet that the 80 MPH that you are showing is only about 55 MPH..
and as I have stated before...if the speedo is off so is the mileage...
Your reading 80 and drive for 2 hours = 160; but you are really only doing 60 x 2 hours = 120 for a difference of 40 miles in just 2 hours of riding!!

Old 05-18-2005, 03:31 PM

Well is there a way to "reset" my speedo so that let's say when I do 55 the speedo says 55?

Old 05-18-2005, 05:51 PM

Also now that the new sprokets and chain are on, the chain is a little tighter than expected, is this bad? also lets say im doin 40 in 2nd or 3rd, whenever I hold the clutch in I can hear a winding sound and it sounds like its coming from the front sprocket? any ideas?

Quick Reply: New chain question