CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Cbr900rrw (UK) - No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi cabaret

ive got a 9v battery, the proper terminal clips for it too. Im going to:
wire the positive in line on the pink wrote, on harness between the ignition switch and the block.
ill test that i get 9v out on the other side of the block too.
Im guessing i should see 9v at the ecu too? Is it easy to test the pink wire for volts at the ecu?

One thing that bothers me is that o recall getting 12v on the pink (ignition switch to connector block) so is the 9v going to be enough?

Old 05-19-2018, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a diode in the switch that reduces the voltage to approx 9v that is what the ECU wants to see , you can back probe the pink wire at the ECU if it delivering 12v the the diode isnt working

Old 05-19-2018, 12:06 PM

When i checked i wasnt getting anything on the pink, from the ignition switch to the harness, thereon after (untill that weird 3.81v on the harness side connector for the crack sensor?).... Im going to put the boy to bed then get back on it.

Im borrowing ba mates bout Meyer because I'm not confident in the B&Q £15 one.. Ill write these tests down too so i know where were at for sure!

thanks man!!

Old 05-20-2018, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by CaBaRet
There is a diode in the switch that reduces the voltage to approx 9v that is what the ECU wants to see , you can back probe the pink wire at the ECU if it delivering 12v the the diode isnt working
Hiya!

So i completed some tests today. With the hero of my 9yr old lad

So... zero volt coming out if the ignition on the pink with the ignition switched to on.

Pink wire with ignition on.... 0 volts

All other wires were 12 volts

I don't seem to be getting anything out of that zenner diode? But i don't think that is the issue (continue after these pics and you'll see why i think that's the case...)

12v on the one side....
0v on the other side....I wired the 9v battery into harness where that pink wire connects to and it made no difference, still no spark. I then wired that battery direct to it and i was getting 12v at that plug side and still no volts.
i tested the ecu side each time and again got 9v and 12v for the pink with ecu hardness side but still no spark....

I tested both coils harness side and on the two wires one wire on each coil has 12v, the other Im guessing is the earth to producethe spark (as that had zero volts). I have not yet tested ht side of the coils. How do i test that?

I also took back the harness wiring wrapping to find that weird crack sensor pink wire (which turned out to be a pink/green wire), that goes to the instruments (connecting to the rev counter). That still has around 4v with the ignition on or off! That seems a little odd to me?

Im starting to think that it's going to be ecu at fault unless its both ht plus a i haven't tested them because i don't know how, time to Google that....

And looking at my ecu i think it could be an import too as my speedo is in kmh.. Does my ecu look have any indication it'd an import? Can i buy a uk one if out is an injury and it'll do away with that pink wire? Can i use a none rrw 98/99 ecu on my bike? Sorry a million questions.... My ecu has different numbers to some I've seen on ebay...?

Anyway... Time i have to iron a shirt and start doing jobs around the house before i go to bed!

thanks again for your assistance (& patience)

Stu

Old 05-21-2018, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

Morning , was the bike running before all this happened , and as for the different voltages , the ECU distributes the power , not all wires will be charged with 12v, check all the fuses again especially the 20amp PGM fuse, it could be that your diode is dead, are you testing the diode the right way round

Old 05-24-2018, 03:49 PM

Hey dude!!

Good news! I got a spark!

My zennor diodes arrived in the post! From a well known auction site.....
I made a live connection from the battery with the black part of the diode to that connection, then worried the other end on to the harness side of the old foot where the pink wire would have attached. It meant removing the existing wirs from the ignition plug but what the heck hey!... Anyway, it just sparked right away! This indicates there's a problem at my ignition and ill start by cutting the diode from that ignition and soldering in a replacement.

Happy days... Time to pull my finger put and get everything done before the TT starts! Mains power to black side of the diode, other side of the diode direct into the pink wire on the harness.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Good news Stu

Old 05-24-2018, 04:01 PM

Thanks again for your time and advice!