CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

carbs or electrical

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carbs or electrical

took the bike out and it ran really good.a couple hours later went to start it and when it started it didnt want to stay running,you have to keep it running and itbreaks up,back fires.could this be electical or the carbs need to be clean and plugs changed.the bike is a 96 cbr 900.just picked it up so not sure how long it sat.thanks

Old 12-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: carbs or electrical

hi there. Not really clear of your description but I would suggest you check out the basic things first; like what you had mention; plugs and carbs. Can you rev the bike without any hesitation and smooth? If so most probably your carbs are clear.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:24 PM

it starts to rev and breaks up(hesitats and stutters),the pop(back fires)the dies out.i thought it might be the cdi but from what i understand,they either work or the dont and if it was bad there would be no spark.but i could be wrong .work on cars and quads ,but kinda lost when it comes to street bikes.thanks for the info.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:37 PM

Guess you are right. The bike will be totally out if the cdi is gone. The hesitation most likely is caused by either the plugs or carbs. Anyway as a part of maintenance, change the plugs and get the carbs cleaned and synced again.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:59 PM

thanks dinez,will do.you just put a big smile on my face and gave me hope again.thanks again for the info and fast reply.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:38 PM

Yup. clean your carbs, install a fuel filter inline to them or change the existing one and you shouldnt have problems. my Hurricane 600 does this same thing because I cant get the damned petcock to flow fuel right and I also have issues with some other stuff inside the carbs that just cant get fixed.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:11 PM

ORIGINAL: tecatesr330

you just put a big smile on my face and gave me hope again.
haha sorry to disturb your joy but that was considered a baby technical problem compares to all the others you are going to face in the future.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definetely your carbs. When the bike sits the gas will go stale and scale. Pull those carbs and go through them carefully. Clean the bowls and blow out all the jets. Also, make sure that you drain your tank and put fresh fuel in it. Stale fuelwill pop and backfire and do all sorts of crazy stuff. Other issues you may face are going to be electrical and I strongly recommend that you get a tube if Dielectric greese and fill every electrical connector on the bike with it. This will stop any more corrosion from occuring in your ssytem and will make the connections stronger. Fuel filter is an excellent idea as Dinez mentioned. I run a glass filter that you can get from Jegs or summit and it has the advantage of being cleanable and reusable for the life of your bike. I am sure with a good carb cleaning you will see the bike returned to normal. Good luck.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:43 PM

900 fighter, your help in trouble shooting these bikes is first class, i will be tearing down my 93 this weekend, i used sealent when i did my jet kit and i think my problem with cyl1 not fireing is the sealannt . cyl 1 header tube does not get hot telling me either no fuel or no fire, having checked the coil for output,poof wallathankss again fighter.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:13 PM

thanks for all the info guys.im going to take the carbs of this weekend and clean them.should i just clean the bowl,floats,jets and the bottom end of the carbs.or should i take apart the top also and pull out the slides anddo a complete clean.and if i only do bottom end of carb(floats,jets),does the carbs still have to be synced.thanks

Quick Reply: carbs or electrical