CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Buying a used 20 year old 900rr that has been in garage

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a used 20 year old 900rr that has been in garage

Hi everyone!

I am new to the forum and relatively a new rider. Got my license 2 years ago and I own a FZ6 naked at the moment. Have done some research on the CBR900RR and I have read only great things about them so I am willing to buy one in Spring in order to go on an long trip to Norway with it. I would highly appreciate some advice on a used 1998 900rr here in Sweden that has done 16 000 miles. My concern is the age of the bike combined with the low number of miles over the years.

The first year it has done about 6 000 miles and the latest 10 years it has done the other 10 000. In Sweden the bikes are usually stored in a warm garage for half of the year due to the weather conditions. The owner lives in another city about 4 hours drive away and at the moment the temperatures are below freezing so I cannot even test ride it. From the pictures, the bike looks in great condition with only few cosmetical flaws. Although I suspect it has been tipped over on the right side (I am attaching some pictures). The total number of owners is 6, the first one having owned it for the first 10 years. The current owner says the spark plugs were changed last year, among oil change, oil filter and brake fluid. The service book has only regular history the first two years. Afterwards the guy says it has been taken care of privately (but I want to see invoices at least).

My question is: should I be worried about the low number of miles it has done the last 10 years? It feels like it has been sitting in a garage unused for most of the time. I know tires crack, tubes get old etc etc but is there anything in specific I should be looking for? I might be able to take a test spin if the weather allows it in the coming week but am unsure. I would greatly appreciate some advice. Thanks a lot in advance!

Old 03-11-2019, 05:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, looks like a very tidy bike. If you can't ride it let it idle and run upto temperature, make sure the fan kicks in and no collant coming out anywhere.
also sit on the bike and bounce the rear end..as its 20 yrs old you may have to replace the rear shock like i did and new fork oil and springs..most forget about those.
Other than the usual things of checking the oil (not milky white) and as such should be fine..honda are known for reliability even if sat for ages.
good luck

Moe

Old 03-11-2019, 07:09 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

If I was to buy this I’d be stripping plastics, tank, seat etc and generally getting a good look at what I have. Looking for something that’s not standard. When you build her back up you’ll have more confidence in your new acquisition. Take loads of time and include everything. You’ll end up with something to be proud of and enjoy.
When I used to prep my boys bike for racing, every single nut bolt and screw was checked. Every time. Front to back, both sides. Be confident in your machine and you can then put everything into your riding.
I’d ask the owner to point out everything that’s not as it should be and see how he responds. I know some might not understand this, but it’s the first thing I do when I’m selling something. I don’t want a call or a knock on my door and it’s just the way I go about things.
The bike looks right, and if you feel your getting good honest vibes from the seller, take a step back look at her again. If I really really like it, then personally I’d go for it.
I wouldn’t be that concerned about how little mileage she’s supposed to have done or how long she been stood as everything was going to be checked anyway. Just my thoughts.
Best of luck mate

Old 03-12-2019, 03:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wes 17
If I was to buy this I’d be stripping plastics, tank, seat etc and generally getting a good look at what I have. Looking for something that’s not standard. When you build her back up you’ll have more confidence in your new acquisition. Take loads of time and include everything. You’ll end up with something to be proud of and enjoy.
When I used to prep my boys bike for racing, every single nut bolt and screw was checked. Every time. Front to back, both sides. Be confident in your machine and you can then put everything into your riding.
I’d ask the owner to point out everything that’s not as it should be and see how he responds. I know some might not understand this, but it’s the first thing I do when I’m selling something. I don’t want a call or a knock on my door and it’s just the way I go about things.
The bike looks right, and if you feel your getting good honest vibes from the seller, take a step back look at her again. If I really really like it, then personally I’d go for it.
I wouldn’t be that concerned about how little mileage she’s supposed to have done or how long she been stood as everything was going to be checked anyway. Just my thoughts.
Best of luck mate
Originally Posted by Mr479
Hi, looks like a very tidy bike. If you can't ride it let it idle and run upto temperature, make sure the fan kicks in and no collant coming out anywhere.
also sit on the bike and bounce the rear end..as its 20 yrs old you may have to replace the rear shock like i did and new fork oil and springs..most forget about those.
Other than the usual things of checking the oil (not milky white) and as such should be fine..honda are known for reliability even if sat for ages.
good luck

Moe
Thank you guys for your thoughts. I will be driving to see it this weekend. I am a bit skeptical from the communication I have had with the owner so far but I will let you know.
Thanks again!

Old 03-12-2019, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks a really decent bike for 98 , hope everything goes well with the inspection and you buy it , Good Luck