CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Burning oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning oil?

My 96 900's oil level drops and it appears that the harder I am on the bike, the more oil seems to leak out or get burned away? Does anyone else experience this? It's not THAT bad, but I would venture to guess that I lose 1/2 quart about very 1200 miles or so. Milage on the bike is a bit over 15K. I can't say that I've spotted any leak that would account for the total amount of oil that I'm losing.

Has anyone used a product like "Restore 4" in their bike? Is there any product that may slow this down in case I have piston ring issues? Am I simply in left field and have a valve problem? I haven't check the valve chain, but the procedure is on my winter list.

On another note, I got toasted by an R6 today and it's REALLY bothering me. . .something is wrong or the guy has some pretty serious modifications to his bike. I passed him with much vigor and stopped accelerating when I hit 165 (indicated). . .never woudl have done that had I know the guy was so close to me. About 5 seconds (or less) after I stopped st 165, he passed me and he HAD to be doing 20 miles more than I was. I didn't get stupid (again) and try to pass him again, but I'm wonding if I should rebuild all my carbs over the winter. For those of you that would call me a complete idiot for going that fast. .it was a nearly straight and level piece of new highway and I had reletively no fear to be going that fast.

Thoughts?

Old 09-28-2006, 12:47 AM
Default RE: Burning oil?

If you were at even a TRUE 165, (unlikely) there's no way in hell the R6 had even 2mph on you. It stands to reason your speedo is way the hell off or it was an R1 with R6 stickers on it. Even then.......I can out run my neighbors 03 R1 and my bike is relatively stock. Full exhaust/jetkit/K&N/15,43,520 kit. That is all. Dont get me wrong, I dont WAX him, but theres no doubt whos pulling away. And his bike is completely stock. Even so, pretty impressive really. Anyway, yes, if an actual R6 is getting away from you, you might wanna rebuild what ever isnt right with your bike.
As for the engine overhaul in a can......never used it, probably never will. I doubt very highly it is worth the $5 you pay for it.

As for the oil, that is just the opposite of my bike. I can visually see on the engine where oil has obviously leaked out and more so after a track day, I can see the grimey **** on the under side of the fairing, but never uses a drop. Odd no?

Good luck man. Get that thing fixed, there shouldnt be any reason a 600 is giving you problems in a contest of pure acceleration.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:52 AM

If you've always ridden hard (high rpms, fast acceleration), sounds like possible piston ring sealing issues. 1/2 quart every 1200 miles isn't obcenely high, but it is more than normal. Do a compression test and a leak down test. This combination will tell you if its your rings or your valves. Low compression, low leak % = worn piston rings or carbon on valve seats/bent valves/tight valve clearances. Normal compression, high leak % = valves. Low compression, high leak % & can hear air escaping from PCV tube = probably rings.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:13 AM

gixxer. . I agree with you. . no way that R6 should have had a chance, but he was way too close during VERY hard acceleration for me to think that I don't have some kind of issue (I never saw him coming up because I was crouched down). As is the case with most bikes, my speedo is off. . .but I've yet to dertmine the exact number. Some days, I pull out the GPS and it seems like it's 10mph, other days I get a different number. In any case. . .like I said above. . .I stopped my hard accel run at 165 (maybe 155 actual) - remained at that speed - and only a few seconds pased before the guy on the R6 passed me. I shoudl have been much further ahead of him than that. Thinking about it some more, it was no more than 3 seconds before the R6 passed me and while I was rather upset . .I held back and did not attempt to overtake him again. Besides. . .we were coming up on trafic about a mile up the highway and I didn't want to risk running into it while "fighting" with him.

In any case, I've deciding to get a factory rebuild and jet kit for it and hopefully pull a few more ponys out of the bike.

As for the compression and leak down test, I guess it's off the dealer because I don't own the tools to do those tests.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:21 AM

I'd wait to find out the results of the tests before you spend money re-jetting. Chances are if the rings aren't sealing or something is keeping the valves from seating correctly, you're gonna feel a whole lotta difference once you get that fixed and won't need a jet kit.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:38 AM

I say rings... like chicken says.... but then again... hard to say.. Take the fairings off and do some cleaning of the motor and ride around a bit.... but from the sound of that r6 issue.... your engine sounds tired.. but then again, it's not always the bike but instead the rider who makes the bike faster in the end. Are you running stock exhaust? You have to figure out if the engine is being burned or is it just leaking out. Clean the thing and watch for build ups. check all the adjoing parts - oil filter area, case covers(stator, Clutch), see the exhaust can build up... even when oil burns it will leave a heavier buildup then regular gas. And check your smoke in different revs.... if it burns oil, it will be a bluish color....

As for the power loss... if the compression rate on your pistons is checked and ruled out.... then got for the proper jetting & synchronizing of carbs (Along with new plugs and possible spark plug wires). 15k is not much miles on a cbr unless its been rough handled....

You may want to try a heavier grade oil as well.

If you're using 5w30 switch to 10w30 .... then switch to a gradual rebuild; but it will buy you time [X(]

Old 09-28-2006, 06:59 PM

Thanks for all the replies. . .I do have a small leak near the cover on the left side of the bike that seems to drip on the lower fairing, but it does not account for all the oil I'm losing. I truly hope I don't have a ring issue because that means way more work than I'm willing to do. Around here, nobody will touch bikes unless it's a Harley so I'd have to have to work done at the dealer which means money money money. I suppose that the test will determine what the problem (if any) is.

Thanks guys!

Old 09-28-2006, 11:43 PM

In hind sight, I actually did anhialate an R6 at the same time we tried it with the R1. It wasn't even a contest. Not that that changes your situation, but I can tell you an R6 that isnt race prepped shouldnt beat up on a 900. I have seen 600RR's that are race prepped at track days out accelerate my 900, but those are full on AMA race bikes, not privateer bikes. Anyway, good luck with the leak down. I hope it turns out well.