CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Bike starts but won't drive.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike starts but won't drive.

So I have a 1995 cbr 900. Bike works perfectly fine starts right up but when I put it in gear the bike dies right away. And the reason it dies is because for some reason when I pull the clutch in the kickstand light comes on? So for that reason when I put the bike in gear the bike dies right away thinking kickstand it down, but it's up. Thought it was the kickstand so I bypassed it, still same problem. Replaced the clutch diode, still same problem? Any ideas?
Clutch lever relay? Starter relay? I'm out of clue. I checked all the wiring everything seems to be fine.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say you bypassed it I dont know exactly what you mean. I bypassed my 94 CBR 600 F2 trackbike but I followed the wires from the kickstand to up beside the battery somewhere and unplugged it.But its 3 wires, I connected two of those wires together, I believe the two that were the same color. Green or Yellow. You can also do the same with the clutch wire up at the handle bar, I believe mine are two wires at the clutch.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
When you say you bypassed it I dont know exactly what you mean. I bypassed my 94 CBR 600 F2 trackbike but I followed the wires from the kickstand to up beside the battery somewhere and unplugged it.But its 3 wires, I connected two of those wires together, I believe the two that were the same color. Green or Yellow. You can also do the same with the clutch wire up at the handle bar, I believe mine are two wires at the clutch.
By bypassed I mean I connected the green and green with white stripe wire together.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:07 PM

Ok, so you connected the green & green w/white stripe together, the ones that the kickstand plugged into? Not the wires coming from the kickstand? What if you unplug the wires at the clutch lever, maybe that wont let the kickstand light come on, maybe. Did it just start doing this, how long have you had the bike? On a side note my kickstand wire that I wire together were the ones on the outside, middle one is not hooked to anything.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:46 PM

Ok, so you connected the green & green w/white stripe together, the ones that the kickstand plugged into? Not the wires coming from the kickstand? What if you unplug the wires at the clutch lever, maybe that wont let the kickstand light come on, maybe. Did it just start doing this, how long have you had the bike? On a side note my kickstand wire that I wire together were the ones on the outside, middle one is not hooked to anything.
The ones coming from the connector not the switch. And what happend what my brother somehow put the negative and the positive on the starter and tried turning it on and definently fried a sensor somewhere but can't figure out where.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:03 PM

Do you have the Clymer, Haynes, or Honda manual? That would help. also on that old of a bike there isnt alot of sensors as far as safety. The only ones I can think of are of course the kickstand switch which supposed to keep you from riding away with the kickstand down. And the clutch switch which allows the bike to start in gear only with the clutch lever pulled in. With the clutch switch unplugged the bike would only start in neutral, with it "jumpered", you could push the start button, with the bike in gear and the starter would make the bike move forward trying to start. Also the neutral switch has something to do with it, I bet. I have a 08 CBR 1000RR and you cannot have the kickstand down, bike in gear, running. It kills it, even with the clutch pulled in. Maybe jumper the neutral switch. Theres a relationship between the 3. Good Luck

Old 04-14-2016, 09:08 PM

Is the neutral light on when you turn on the key? If not that maybe an idea. If somehow you can jumper the neutral switch so the light stays on, even when its in gear that might get you moving down the road.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:25 PM

Do you have the Clymer, Haynes, or Honda manual? That would help. also on that old of a bike there isnt alot of sensors as far as safety. The only ones I can think of are of course the kickstand switch which supposed to keep you from riding away with the kickstand down. And the clutch switch which allows the bike to start in gear only with the clutch lever pulled in. With the clutch switch unplugged the bike would only start in neutral, with it "jumpered", you could push the start button, with the bike in gear and the starter would make the bike move forward trying to start. Also the neutral switch has something to do with it, I bet. I have a 08 CBR 1000RR and you cannot have the kickstand down, bike in gear, running. It kills it, even with the clutch pulled in. Maybe jumper the neutral switch. Theres a relationship between the 3. Good Luck
How to I jumper the neutral switch?

Old 04-15-2016, 01:59 PM

I dont know how to jumper the neutral switch or if it would even work. But its worth a try. I will look in my 94 CBR 600 F2 manual, I know its not the same bike as yours but the wiring should be similar to the 900, as far as the neutral switch is concerned. I cant believe no one else is chiming in to "help a brother out".

Old 04-15-2016, 06:36 PM

OK......the neutral switch on the F2 is on the left side of engine inboard and under the drive sprocket. Should be able to see it without removeing nothing but fairing/bodywork. The wire coming from it runs up to the cluster of wire in front of the battery box and plugs in the harness, kind of like the kickstand switch. Should be able to "jumper" it also.Good luck.

Quick Reply: Bike starts but won't drive.