CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

96 CBR 900rr Ignition/starter relay crapped out

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 CBR 900rr Ignition/starter relay crapped out

I went to start up the bike Saturday night to ride home, and when I turned the key, nothing would light up. I had JUST parked it about 15 minutes beforehand after a cruise. I thought I had a dead battery somehow, so I tried to pop start it about 5 times going down a hill. With no success i realized it was a little bit more of a problem. Pushed it back up to my friends house and started checking fuses, battery, etc.
Once I got to the ignition relay, the lights flicked on and the wire fizzled and sparked a bit. After looking at it, the plastic housing has melted pretty badly... I could move the wires, and could start it if i wanted to, but I wasn't about to take a 1.5 hour freeway trip home, knowing a single bump could shut the bike off.

Now that I have located the problem... #8 on here. #2 wouldn't hurt as well.
1996 Honda CBR900RR BATTERY Parts, 1996 Honda CBR900RR BATTERY OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

Any idea what could have caused the problem? It looked as if the wires had been pulled out a bit, and may have touched, causing the sparks and melting.

I hope I can easily swap this out, and that it wasn't something else causing the problem with this part.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:07 AM

Update with some photos:
New relay/switch on top, old melted on bottom

melted

ugly

Alright here's the tricky part... I cut the wires back, put on new covered spade connectors, and even used connection grease... Inserted everything back into their spots, connected the battery, turned the key, and nothing happened.

I don't have a volt meter to check the connections at this moment, but this is giving me a headache. For a week, I had the negative side of the battery disconnected, but the negative wire was touching the frame of the bike, so there's a possibility that it drained the whole battery?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Old 06-10-2013, 10:30 AM

I have a feeling that since the negative wire was touching the frame, it depleted the battery. I'm certainly not an electrician hah

Old 06-10-2013, 08:07 PM

Battery is beyond good. Wasn't that...

Old 06-13-2013, 08:44 AM

Figured it out... The part that I bought is the reverse of what I need. Didn't even know that was possible! Left is right and right is left. I had to put the wires from the battery and starter upside down.

I guess that'll work for now, but the part is in there pretty awkwardly and not covered from water.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:38 AM

By any chance was the 30 amp fuse on the starter relay burned out? I had the same thing happen on my 900 however my plug doesn't look as bad. The fuse is intact. Wondering if I need to replace the relay switch or just clean it up and rewire it for the time being.

See pics

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-900rr...ust-do-147858/

Last edited by Daniel Langford; 07-07-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:34 AM

Posting my PM response:
"That is pretty melted, and like mine, the fuse didn't blow to prevent that melting. You should definitely replace that relay. It was like $20 on eBay? Just make sure they send you the right one. The one I got was a reverse copy of what I needed, so I had to put all my wires on upside down haha. Left was right, and vice versa.

I ended up putting new spade connectors on there with covers so there is no interference between them. I think what is happening to your bike is what happened to mine. If I jiggled the wire, I could start the bike, but that relay is pretty melted like mine."

Old 09-20-2013, 09:36 AM

Looks like the problem has come back again.
What would cause a fuse to melt like this?!?

Old 09-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Default Relay

I had the same thing happen, after I fixed the relay switch I went through the wiring, specifically behind the handlebars I found a bind in the wiring, an area where it was being pinched. I opened up the wrap and found nearly all the wires cut and arcing/shorting because of the bind. I fixed the wires, no problems now.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel Langford
I had the same thing happen, after I fixed the relay switch I went through the wiring, specifically behind the handlebars I found a bind in the wiring, an area where it was being pinched. I opened up the wrap and found nearly all the wires cut and arcing/shorting because of the bind. I fixed the wires, no problems now.
+1 good to know! That actually makes sense. While taking my tank off, i noticed that the previous owner had put the tank back on and pinched some wires. My front brake wouldn't light up the brake light in the rear... I moved the wires so they weren't pinched, and all of a sudden that works now. They are probably arching along with some other things...

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 96 CBR 900rr Ignition/starter relay crapped out