CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

900 running rough

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 12:11 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the pilot screws you can easily get out by using a dremil and put a slot on each one and then just use a flat head screw driver to back them out instead of buying the special d-shaped socket and as a matter of fact what your supposed to do is zero them out first
1)meaning screw them in all the way in and count how many turns before you cant go anymore and write it down for each carb, then back them out.. that way there you'll know if its two and half turns or 3 or three and a half, you dont want to lose the factory settings for the air and gas mixture, but let me tell you my friend you really haven't cleaned the carbs as good as they caan be without having taking the pilot screws out and then do a really good cleaning..
especially if youve used compressed air, i would hate to end up reading a thread about you getting stuck somewhere because some crap finally decided to break loose in the bowls and clog everything up on you again..
let me know if your following what im saying, if not ill send you more info..
jay

Old 12-28-2013, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is more or less a project for me,i have a tow truck so no biggie there but breaking down does suck.will have to get a dremel.or borrow one.what could need cleaning under the pilot screw?is the pilot screw a jet?the bike still needs front rotors and headlights plastics.i may just buy a streetfighter headlight and put an hid in the headlights.the guy i bought the bike from dumped it at 90mph.2 years ago. thanks for all the help.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:14 PM

you can buy a dremel like tool at harbor frieght for like 15 bucks..
and by the way "no" you dont have to do it, but when i help someone i always like being through and give the most info i can.. because if you do have more carb trouble you'll at least know what you missed.. this took me quite awhile to figure all out.. but now when i break a set of carbs down its pretty awesome how efficient ive got..
you could just buy some some seafoam and dump some in the tank to try and clear out the rest that way...
the pilot screws are jets, they control the air and fuel mixture.. actually very important.. ill take a picture and post it up by the end of the day.. and show you how i did mine..

Old 12-28-2013, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that would be very helpful

Old 12-29-2013, 12:13 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad you're suckin', squeezin', bangin', and blowin' on all 4 now. Keep us updated on the progress with the project. Post some pics!

Old 12-29-2013, 09:09 AM

i put the twizzers on the spot you need to get to, under those slots i made, is a mixing screw , washer and a tiny spring, which also can get really gummed up and get stuff caked on there..
you'll notice if you do take them out with the rest taken off inlcuding sloe jet and main jet and then sprayed carb cleaner in all the holes then use compressed air that, they all are intertwinned so is the mixing jets important? ya i think so...
anyway now u know.. also by overslotting them , you give yourself a for sure way of knowing if you put them back in the right spot or not.. just make sure you count how many turns in before you unscrew them and write it down, its pretty easy.. take picture or a video if you think that might help or just do one at a time..

Name:  IMG_20131229_041632_zpsc7v7dqnf.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  88.1 KB

Last edited by jasonchristopher; 12-29-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 340 Likes on 279 Posts

It appears that you have your #1 and #4 bowls reversed friend. Not a big deal, unless you need to drain your fuel.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:03 PM

good eye, but there spares,, have to be honest though i never noticed..
when i pull carbs apart i always do it in the order they came out and set them aside in order, especially since we're getting close to the 20 year mark, things have a way of seating a certain way, but i have to admit your comment put smile on my face and GREAT eye!!.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 340 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonchristopher
good eye, but there spares,, have to be honest though i never noticed..
when i pull carbs apart i always do it in the order they came out and set them aside in order, especially since we're getting close to the 20 year mark, things have a way of seating a certain way, but i have to admit your comment put smile on my face and GREAT eye!!.

The only reason I noticed is because I've done that before myself. But I realized it after I had them mounted.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by hamlin6
The only reason I noticed is because I've done that before myself. But I realized it after I had them mounted.
hamlin: do you drain your carbs at the end of each season???

I'm jjust curious, i actually keep my bikes fueled up and start them every 3 weeks or so, i'm afraid if i dont keep them active more things will dry up and ill find new things to fix every spring.. thats why i have lots of spares of everything. i should take a picture later when i get home.. i have like four extra carbs , three stators , half dozen r/r's .. to stripped out bikes.. i like to cover my bases
well thats thats the problem with older bikes, you have to be prepared for everything.. i will say the last couple years i've never been with-out at least one set of working 2-wheels..

Quick Reply: 900 running rough