CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

900 running rough

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 10:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if it def coming back to the carbs.. theres a electronic part that is on the right side of the bank that could be faulty (Throttle sensor).. unfortunately i dont know how to test it, but i once submerged my carburetors in a sonic cleaner and after i pulled them out it wouldnt allow the bike to start back up, until that part was swapped..
also you said you used copper wire to cleaan!! was it copper cleaning wire or just regular copper wire.. because if you enlarged the holes in any way then those jets are junk and i would just buy new ones...these 900's are great bikes but they have a finesse to them, if you know what i mean..
also i find it hard to believe your friend ran the bike with no fuel filter... i would seriously take a good look around from the tAnk down.. i just checked on ron ayes and there is a filter in the tank..

Old 12-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used a single strand of copper wire from a brush no way it enlarged the hole.i did not remove the pilot screws or adjust them.so imma tear back in it.do the pilot screws have jets in them?? i feel like this has got to be where the problem lies there is a filter on the tube of the petcock

Old 12-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The pilot screw adjusts the slow jets (it's kind of like a valve). I would take the carbs apart, clean/boil everything again. If it had sort of been sitting, some of that ethanol fuel can really gum up the fuel lines and other carb parts.

Check the floats and the needle valves.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:44 PM

gonna separate the carbs and clean everything!!i will report back tommorow with progress.just got some new tools for christmas im itching to put to work

Old 12-25-2013, 08:05 PM

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f...ll-gas-104180/ found this thread and believe it may be the issue

Old 12-26-2013, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by f4stolenhelp
https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f...ll-gas-104180/ found this thread and believe it may be the issue
damm, that was a great cleaning article/post.. the only thing is if you split the banks of carbs.. i would goto harbor frieght and buy the big tin of o-rings, its a allot cheaper and you'll have tons left over to keep in with your tools..

2: he didnt mention the choke needles and allot of people miss them because they're not with the other jets , they are mounted under one of the first things you have to take off if your going to split the banks apart..its called the valve set/starter. it looks like a plunger needle and actually you can just follow the choke cable down to the top of the carbs and where it attaches is those particular needles.. it acts like a butterfly on a old car..
anyway i still love that write-up probably the clearest ive seen/read yet..

Old 12-26-2013, 06:20 PM

been researching but theres alot to weed through sometimes i borrowed a compression tester my buddy said if the motor shot hell help me with the extra cost not everything but its better then nothing. the motor only has 12k so i cant see internal damage my f4 has 30,000 and still runs like new.i should have her running tommorow like a dream then ill start a log of the rest of the build needs plastics and headlight!

Old 12-26-2013, 06:21 PM

oh and it needs front rotors if anyone has a deal on those id be happy to buy

Old 12-27-2013, 03:18 AM

you know flea bay is where your going to find most of the deals, hmm front rotors?? why was your friend the endo king in the neighborhood??
i cant see the motor having any damage, you need to stick with the carburetors. its almost always in there!!! trust me.. i have four 900's not including an empty frame that i have hanging in my basement right now waiting for me to build her this winter.. its in your carbs, period.. unless your friend is willing to tell you something he may have forgotten.. when these bikes sit, its the worst thing for em.. if you plan on keeping the bike you should go on ebay and pick up an extra set of carbs anyway, look for a set that was just removed from a parted bike that was running, i know they're out there..

Old 12-27-2013, 05:49 PM
Default she runs great

Okay i took all of the bowls off and the stacks off and cleaned all the jets.this time i had an air compressor and i blew through the holes under the velocity stacks,i put everything back together and she runs on all 4.I have stock jets in the carbs for now but im sure ill have to change things around it has a full exhaust and kn filter.i have not adjusted the pilot screws i dont have a tool.i will look into that the screws look to be at different positions.anywho thanks!!

Quick Reply: 900 running rough