CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

3rd owner 1998 cbr 900rr

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well the fairings are sanded and most of them are primed, one is finished, its by no means going to be perfect, but too many of the fairings needed work for me to leave the way they were, eventually the rims will be powdercoated and one of these days she'll get a real coat of paint

and the REAL news......

My replacement engine is sitting in the kitchen next to the frame, it should be in within the next day or so, just depends on when i can get a lil help (with the lifting/maneuvering)

ive still gotta go get my riding license and get the bike registered, but id say within the month of september it should be legal and i should be riding this is exciting, i cant wait for that first real ride

things left:
install engine
clean and swap over the carbs
connect all wires/tubes/cables
fluid/oil/filter
spark plugs
hook up exhaust
replace petcock
replace radiator
replace both handle bar switches
get a helmet
get it registered
get my license

Old 09-01-2011, 10:51 PM

finally got the time to work on the bike, got the engine in the bike myself, just had to lay the bike down on its side

pic of progress so far:

Name:  544665922_photobucket_48030_.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  85.8 KB

for some reason i cant get the image to shrink, ill have to shrink it in paint and redo it in a bit :/ sorry for issues

Last edited by themutt; 09-01-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:56 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow...that's alot of work! Hope you get her back in shape soon and start enjoying the ride.

Originally Posted by themutt
finally got the time to work on the bike, got the engine in the bike myself, just had to lay the bike down on its side

pic of progress so far:

for some reason i cant get the image to shrink, ill have to shrink it in paint and redo it in a bit :/ sorry for issues

Old 09-02-2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by estate4life
Wow...that's alot of work! Hope you get her back in shape soon and start enjoying the ride.
i think a week, maybe 2 weeks and i should have it done, i blew the head gasket on my integra so im starting an ls-vtec build next week too lol with school and work ive got plenty to do right now

Old 09-02-2011, 05:13 PM
February 2012 ROTM

I'm just overwhelmed by the amount of work, time, stress? That takes a great toll on one self. I'm sure the reward is worth it towards to finish line. Kinda reminds me of my first real project roughly 12 years ago a Mazda RX-7 twin turbo. It suck all me energy & $$$$. Then to realized it's a rotary engine....even Mazda dis-continue production. In your case, Hondas are great machines...take patience & good timing. Don't rush....towards the end...once you get bike mechanical sound...cosmetic is the easy part.

i think a week, maybe 2 weeks and i should have it done, i blew the head gasket on my integra so im starting an ls-vtec build next week too lol with school and work ive got plenty to do right now

Old 09-02-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by estate4life
I'm just overwhelmed by the amount of work, time, stress? That takes a great toll on one self. I'm sure the reward is worth it towards to finish line. Kinda reminds me of my first real project roughly 12 years ago a Mazda RX-7 twin turbo. It suck all me energy & $$$$. Then to realized it's a rotary engine....even Mazda dis-continue production. In your case, Hondas are great machines...take patience & good timing. Don't rush....towards the end...once you get bike mechanical sound...cosmetic is the easy part.

the most stressful part was bringing it home to find the engine was destroyed the first time i got it running, it was a pretty big let down, but i went into it telling myself to assume it was blown, now that ive got the engine in it im pretty happy, ill have enough money to buy the basic parts tuesday, after that itll be trouble shooting, which im sure wont be an easy task, ill probably have to rebuild the carbs, but well see when the time comes

an rx-7 is a project thats always been on my list, i test drove a tt rx7 a few years ago, still wish id gotten ahold of that car, one of my top ten favorite cars, you got any pics of the rx7 laying around?

Old 09-02-2011, 06:41 PM
February 2012 ROTM

Unfortunately no pictures. Roughly 12 years ago some of us still carry beepers Lol....I had a 87' red RX 7 with a Kanami body kit. 3rd stage 6lbs turbo each. Sounds like a bus letting out air when shifting. Unfortunate thing about Mazda is electrical issue? You can never figure out what is wrong? Then one night after hanging out with friend, I raced a black Acura NSX...when got off highway....electrical fire! Smoke the whole car. Sold for $600 junk yard. But before giving it up, I hang on to it for months thinking the possibility of rebuild? But I'm over my head? Cannot focus on anything else....then letting it go was the best thing...wake me up an realized so much more in life.

the most stressful part was bringing it home to find the engine was destroyed the first time i got it running, it was a pretty big let down, but i went into it telling myself to assume it was blown, now that ive got the engine in it im pretty happy, ill have enough money to buy the basic parts tuesday, after that itll be trouble shooting, which im sure wont be an easy task, ill probably have to rebuild the carbs, but well see when the time comes

an rx-7 is a project thats always been on my list, i test drove a tt rx7 a few years ago, still wish id gotten ahold of that car, one of my top ten favorite cars, you got any pics of the rx7 laying around?

Old 06-16-2012, 01:48 PM

well, it took longer than id anticipated (mostly money related) but today she fired up, shes running really rough, but after a few new parts and some fine tuning she should be road worthy soon