WTF ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF ???

I took the bike out of a cool/cold garage. Rode it down about 4 blocks and was going to make a left turn at about 15-20mph and BAM the dang bike slide out from under me.

I scraped the hell out of the fairings, handle bar, elbows, and took a 1/4 chunk of fat out of my knee cap.

Why did it slip out from under me? I haven't done anything different today than any other day. There was no sand nor gravel nor debris on the road.

Only difference is, today I was trying out the new Harley Davidson boots I ordered and the weather was a bit chilly.

I was having trouble fitting the boots underneath the foot clutch to shift so I was semi distracted but that's about it.

Do I have to prep the bike out first or something? I remember reading something about using a hair dryer/blower on the tires to warm them up?

[IMG]local://upfiles/19431/0E3EFFE6CB414A3291F8B17C691F3751.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-30-2007, 01:03 PM
Default RE: WTF ???

Depending on how cold it was out, and if you're the type of person to take moderately slow turns at a lean, that could all play a role in your tire slipping out. Or maybe you had some grease or somethin on your tire. Or perhaps there was an accident there the other night, and some oil soaked into the pavement, or coolant or who knows lol.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:34 PM

Thank god I'm such a coward on bike. I had my helmet on and gloves too. I had to cut the jean to show the bruise there.

At first all I could think of was, WOW it doesn't hurt....my head slamming into the street...then I was like omg I hope no one runs me over.

Then the pain from the knee and elbows kicked in.

The helmet really works

Old 08-30-2007, 02:42 PM

The tires probably weren't warm enough to grip at the angle you had the bike leaned at.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:13 PM

Sorry to hear about that Kikn. I've been advised to ride for about 2 miles to warm up the tires before I initiate any lean or negotiate any turns. I could be wrong. Hope that rash heals quick

Old 08-30-2007, 03:40 PM
Banned

Kikn, try '2nd skin' moist patch on that. Its for burns, but it should help keep the scarring to a minimum.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:28 PM

15-20 MPH isn't anything to get worked up about tire heat. chances are you hit some tar or sand. What's you're pressures at? tire manufacture/model?

unless you've modified the rear end somehow that's what i see... did you replace a wheel recently?

HAHAHAHAHA, heating the tire with a hair drier! Jesus what will they think up next?!!

Old 08-30-2007, 07:21 PM

did you down shift in the trun, I have got my back end to drift out alittle durning turns a few times when i first got my bike because i down shifted in the turn. I never went down but it was pretty hot and i had been rideing around. I could see that combined with a slick road and cold tires adding up to a low side.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:23 PM

upsetting a compressed suspension whilst in a turn is a very good way to high side a bike. you bring up a good point George

Old 08-30-2007, 08:23 PM

Besides the lowering kit, tire pressure and all is factory default.

Haven't looked at it yet. All I remember is leaning into the turn and BAM...should I get up or should I rest a bit. Best get up before I get run over.

Heh yea from now on will definately do a mile or so before doing any sharp turns/leans.