WHat to look for when inspecting to buy...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHat to look for when inspecting to buy...

I just ran into an '03 600RR with 1900mi for $4700.
Owners claim the only time it has been dropped was when he failed to put the kick stand all the way out and it closed back after he dismounted giving it a scratch/ckrack on the tank cover when it hit something on the way down (wall, or something like that). Rest of the plastic is said to be scratch free. Bike was his wife's, and became his when she "upgraded" to a GSX-R 1000, but now they are selling both bikes (the Suzuki with just 500mi) because they got preagnant, and decided to give up riding.

Price sounds very reasonable, but I haven't gone to look the bike over yet.
What should I look for when inspecting the bike? (I haven't ridden/worked on bikes in 6-7 years, and my last one was a nighthawk 750, not exactly a sportbike)
He claims the tires and the chain are good, (I specifficaly asked about those, but don't kow what else to ask)

I am debating between this one (black, no graphics, fender eliminator, 2 brothers slip on flush mount turns) or buying a brand new white 07 (which the wife would give me endless grief about for the $9,000 expenditure, especially since i'm just getting back in the saddle after such a long time.)

Old 02-22-2007, 11:48 PM
Default RE: WHat to look for when inspecting to buy...

White one!!!!!! However that is a good deal. I dont know if there is a definitive way totell whether what they say happened ot not. Just check on the seals and the shocks, etc. Make sure nothing is leaking. However, you cant tell on the seals really, until the do leak.Just check everything over, or even see if they can bring it to someone.;

Old 02-22-2007, 11:51 PM

Nah uh, not for an 03. The 2005-6 is lighter than the 2003-4, and the 2007 is EVEN LIGHTER AND MORE POWERFUL TO BOOT. dude, if you can afford the 2007, get it. It's the 2007 599cc to beat.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:11 AM

^^ yeah, I've been droooooling over the white 07, and could probably afford it, I'm just not sure I could JUSTIFY the expenditure, (plus I 'd be getting full gear at the same time, another $1,500 since i got rid of most of my old gear, )
I'm also not sure if getting a Brand new bike, and one as powerfull as the 07, as my first sportbike ever, and my first bike in 6 years is such a good idea. I'm pretty sure I'll lay it down at least once (although I'm hoping otherwise)

Old 02-23-2007, 03:08 AM

So the wife rides the litre bike,while the husband was degraded to taking her old bike? Don't have to tell me who wears the pants there...Wa-pooosh!!

Old 02-23-2007, 06:46 PM

^^ I take it you're not married.

Anyways, I'll be looking the Bike over on Sunday, If I don't get this one, I'll probably wait till the end of the year and get an '07

Old 02-23-2007, 07:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dragonium25

So the wife rides the litre bike,while the husband was degraded to taking her old bike? Don't have to tell me who wears the pants there...Wa-pooosh!!
It's because she's pregnant, which means she's riding for two.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:35 PM

Yeah, guy's a co worker. Didn't ride untill he met this girl. She got him into bikes and taught him how to ride when they married, so when she got the litre bike he kept her old 600 for himself. Now that they're preagnant she is giving up riding at his request.

Nothing degrading about keeping her old bike. (in fact, in my opinion she downgraded by going from the Honda, to the "Gixxer" but then again, I also think Liter bikes are exsessive. a 600 is all the bike I'll ever need)

Old 02-24-2007, 05:24 AM

always check the steering stop if the bike been down hard it will show also check the riders pegs.
even if the peg is changed the bracket will still be bent