What Causes the wobbles?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Causes the wobbles?

The other day I was pulling a wheelie and when I came down the whole bike started to wobble uncontrolably. I am not quite sure how I recoverd from it but it damn near threw me off. I think I must have goosed the throttle or tapped the brake while suspended above the bike. Anyway after I came down it stopped. (Don't think I could do that again even if I wanted.) LUCKY ME!!

I just wanted to know what is the culpurit. My suspension setting are stock My weight is 140lbs I think I was doing between 40-60mph when I brought the front wheel down, best guestimate. I really wasn't looking at the speedo so I can't be sure. The bike rides normally on the street, no problems what so ever, this is the first time I have had anything like this happen. Should I stiffin the forks or soften them? Not quite sure how to procede. Anyone ever experienced something similar? if so how did you fix the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-25-2006, 11:26 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: What Causes the wobbles?

You were wobbling with the nose up or the wobble started when you landed? A landing wobble is EZ ... keep the wheel straight and no wobble. If the back end is wobbling with the nose up then I don't know ... never had that happen.

If you're gonna do lots of wheelies then investing in a good steering damper would be my suggestion. There's some other current threads on 'tank slappers' and basic wobble techniques so just do a quick search and you'll find 'em.

Old 02-26-2006, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What Causes the wobbles?

It started when the front wheel came down, then the bike threw me from side to side then up. I thought I had the wheel straight when I came down, guess not. I'll have to try that again, maybe? Just so u know, it was done in a large parking lot not on the street.

Thanks for the advice. When I get the courage up to try that again i'll let you know how it turns out.