Two more down!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Two more down!!!!

ORIGINAL: e3gordon

Is it me or does it seem like all the beginners are buying 600RR's? I read alot of posts in the F4i and RR forums and alot more new members have their first bike in the RR section asking questions that if they don't know the answer, they shouldnt be on that bike!

What are we to do other than tell them....make a faces of death section to scare overzealous newbs?

Thats a great idea too !! Every time i think about trying to wheely higher/ride it out futher, i take a look ar some nasty wheely accidents clips. It def has to be told, i was just wondering if doing it in a way that let forum user's know that there was some sort of standard to the forum, just like the rules. It just gets a little old cuz a new guy will always be asking those kind of questions that e/body gets fired up about....... round and round. Like Dwhite645 said, there is a whole lot of info to be shared, and i keep reading about what not to do. Also, the mixed opinions about safty may set a confusing example to follow. There is always going to be the guy who gets a bike n goes out thinkin he's Mad Max or some sht like that, but do you want to hear about all the stupid/silly stuff he does? THEN listen to e/one tell him how stupid/dumb/lucky he is ? Gets old imho.

PS, it really wasn't my intention to threadjack, esp when its about another bikers death. My intent was to spread the word about safty. [sm=sorry.gif]

Old 10-12-2006, 04:56 PM

HighRevver:

The geometry of the corner is only30% of the whole equation. When I approach a corner, the "suggested" speed limit tells me something about the geometry of the corner, but it says nothing about the condition of the corner, nor does it say anything about whose coming around the corner. Leaving myself a margin of safety includes the latter two unknowns. I know the speed I feel comfortable going around a 35mph corner, but I intentionally tone it down enough to allow myself to change my line safely JUST IN CASE. Just in case I see an oil puttle, just in case i see loose gravel, just in case I see fallen leaves, just in case I see a car or another motorcyclist crossing the center line, etc. This is street safe street riding.

Safety is the reasons why I hang off on my bike around the corners. I want to make the turn with minimal lean angle, and give myself room either to lean more to avoid a collision or stand the bike up quickly to apply brakes without loosing all of my turning capabilities. I also practice trail braking. Not to go faster, but to be able to slow down while in a lean around a corner.

I agree that we should have a newbie section, but I also think those of us who have experiences that helped us get out of tight situations should share their experiences there. Newbies can read it, and learn from it.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:19 PM

Should be a front page splash...

Old 10-13-2006, 06:09 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: e3gordon

Is it me or does it seem like all the beginners are buying 600RR's? I read alot of posts in the F4i and RR forums and alot more new members have their first bike in the RR section asking questions that if they don't know the answer, they shouldnt be on that bike!

What are we to do other than tell them....make a faces of death section to scare overzealous newbs?
Yep, I agree 100%. Just about everyone I know wants a 600 or higher. One actually said to me (with no riding experience) "I'm not going to puss out, I'm going for the 1000 when I get one". What a freaking retard. I just looked at him with that "WTF?" expression.......then a rather interesting and heated argument follows. Needless to say, we haven't spoken to one another since. <----This is the mentality a lot of new riders have, and it's extremely dangerous. A buddy teaches them the "osteoperosis bare-bone" basics about riding, lets them ride their bike up street, and then they go out thinking they "know" how to ride......a few weeks later, a 600 or 1000RR is bought.......later that night they're on the evening news dead because they never learned how to properly brake; lean; shift; throttle, etc.

Again, I rode for years (dirt bikes, smaller cc street-bikes, etc), but the second I took the class, my eyes were opened to the reality that there is a lot more to riding than just riding.

I'm all for a "Noobs FAQ" section. That would be helpful to newbies not wanting to be flamed beyond recognition.