toubleshooting weak power high RPM

Old 04-05-2017, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default toubleshooting weak power high RPM

background: just did oil change- correct oil level. I was riding pretty hard the day before doing 160mph for about 15 miles. today I went out and when I went to pass I was already at about 90mph I dropped a gear and gunned it only to be met with a chug-a-lug and no power, my first thoughts was that I was out of fuel. A quick glance to fuel indicator and what I thought verified my suspicions was a blinking E at the bottom of the gauge. I eased it off the freeway filled her up and proceeded on surface streets to work. During this low-speed travel there was no indication of the low power.

Fast forward to out of work and I go to start up and hear this raspy foiley rattle type sound. I checked oil level again. Checked good. warmed up and sound decreased it's obviousness but was still apparent. Again on the highway was the low power at higher speed.

my initial thoughts was fuel or spark related, leaning towards fried fuel pump since I've had the same issue with similar symptoms on my CBR F3. That normal operation occurred at low fuel consumption but when I called for more the gravity feed couldn't keep up. The only thing that concerns me about jumping to fuel pump is that pesky noise when I toggle the throttle.

any help or ideas would be appreciated before I start blowing vacation $$ throwing parts at it.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I failed to mention a couple things. My bike is a 2008 CBR600RR and I live in Germany so it is legal to roll at 160MPH+... before you guys think I'm a terrible person for zooming around or something
I have yet to do anything to the bike since I posted since other life events have taken precedence but I do intend on testing the fuel pump and possible the sparks to knock them off the list of possible culprits.