View Poll Results: What should I do?
Keep the 2008 Kawasaki ZZR600 until the winter at least...
25.71%
Try and SELL the Kawasaki outright, and find an 01-02 CBR F4i
11.43%
Trade the Kawasaki in for an 2006-Newer CBR 600RR
60.00%
Tough decision!! (Undecided)
2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Torn

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Torn

Coming here looking for some input and advice.
I'm a new rider, took the MSF course last november of 09, and was looking all winter for a 2002'ish Honda CBR F4i as a starter bike. Always liked the looks of the CBR's and figured that'd be a great starter bike. Well around January I actually landed a sick deal on an 08 Kawasaki ZZR600 for $3,500 with 2kmiles on it. It was my friends at work who basically needed to sell it. I've been riding that bike now for about a month. Love it. Or well I should say I love RIDING, the bike itself im not inlove with. However the Kawasaki is paid off, title in hand. Paying about $800 for "Rider's" insurance for the year for it, already paid in full.

I guess where i'm TORN is the fact that I kind of still have the lust for a CBR, and i'm torn between getting a 600RR or still the F4i. I'm absolutely in LOVE with the red/black 2007-2008 CBR 600RRs, and I'm pretty damn picky when it comes to things like this. I also happen to like the 01-02 split seat F4i's (but hate the single seat 03+ F4s).

So I'm looking for some advice.

Should I keep the kawasaki and learn and ride on it more until the winter and wait to buy a bike then after the insurance lapses?

Or should I use the Kawasaki as a trade in for a used 07-08 CBR, or maybe even a left over 09 CBR ?? Would an F4i be TOO MUCH of a "downgrade" from a ZZR600? and would a 2006+ 600RR be maybe too much of an "upgrade" for a noobish rider?

COMMON SENSE tells me keep the kawasaki, its paid off, there is no reason to upgrade. But MAN after actually riding now, it has only enhanced my eagerness to own a CBR.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:57 PM

I just moved from an F3 to an 07 600RR and the difference is INCREDIBLE. By FAR my favorite thing is the weight difference. Switching from the Kawa to the f4i would net you a better quality of bike, but if you're gonna spend that much, why not just save up and spend the little bit more on the RR? I bought mine in PA stock with 3000 miles for 6k. I see f4i's are going for 4.5k. I think the math speaks for itself. Also, this is PRIME SEASON for bike selling, cuz everyone is taking their MSF and buying bikes.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:31 AM

I'd say keep the ZZR for now. I've ridden one before and as a new rider, I don't think you'd notice too much of a difference (besides the styling). Besides, you might be able to get a screaming deal on a CBR over the winter; people trying to pay for Christmas and stuff.

That's a ton of money for insurance. Sure you got the best rate?

Old 04-18-2010, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by kowen1208
I'd say keep the ZZR for now. I've ridden one before and as a new rider, I don't think you'd notice too much of a difference (besides the styling). Besides, you might be able to get a screaming deal on a CBR over the winter; people trying to pay for Christmas and stuff.

That's a ton of money for insurance. Sure you got the best rate?
Yeah well the styling is what i like =p
Ad for insurance, the CBR quotes from Rider's Insurance would be the same as the ZZR. When I got my rates, I was a 1st time rider, so I probably got the best rates, at the time. Once NOV comes around and insurance lapses, I'll have 1 year of experience, which will change my rates

Rider's Insurance was the cheapest for me in NJ for sure. Other places either wouldn't take me or they wanted like $2,000 WITHOUT collision for my ZZR. Unfortunately Rider's does NOT give a discount for taking the MSF rider safety course, where others did. But its only a 10% reduction. So even 10% off the $2,000 estimates, it was still best to go with Riders.

$850/yr isn't bad. I know some people are paying like $100/year, but those people have MULTIPLE years of experience under their belt.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:32 PM

I guess I got really lucky with my insurance. I'm a first-time rider, too, but my insurance is under $200/year. There were a couple providers who either wouldn't take me or wanted around $800/year.

Maybe it's just my age and driving record?

Old 04-18-2010, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by kowen1208

Maybe it's just my age and driving record?

Yep. Among other things. I've got a super-high-theft bike, so that messes with your premium. Got a nice discount for the alarm and MSF certification, so that's cool. I got quotes ranging from $1600 - $2200 a year. That seems like a ridiculously wide range to me.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:05 PM
Nex

I voted keep the Kawi till the end of the season. Sounds like you got a good deal on it, and if your learning to ride on it, then you should keep doing that until next season. I know exactly how you feel about the CBR styling, as an F4i is something I wanted (and waited for) for nearly 2 years after I got done with MSF and my Class M. People are going to tell you all kinds of things, in the end it's up to you. Ride safe, and enjoy the ride

Old 04-18-2010, 09:20 PM

Ahhh, he's totally right; I ignored the fact that you're a new rider. Keep the Kawa, and beat the crap out of it. If you can go 2 seasons without doing something stupid to it, then buy a new bike. Nothing sucks worse than dropping your new RR because you made a mistake.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a newer 600RR while you have value in it.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:24 AM

It would be awesome if you can trade in that zzr for a honda cbr600rr, however being a new rider and everything their are a few Newby mistakes that can happen to your bike, which can be unexpecting and the dumbest of things! I say you keep that zzr untill winter, and you can probably get a really good deal on your new 600rr. I laid my bike over because i was in a hurry, and i pushed the bike forward to get my car out, i didnt really realize that the kickstand would just fold in and drop the bike down. Lol luckly i have frame sliders! It would be bad ***, to get that new CBR however do you really need it? I want to trade my CBRf4i in for a new 2004 cbr600rr, but is it needed? not really....

Quick Reply: Torn