Tires? Tires? Anyone? Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires? Tires? Anyone? Tires?

Dude, just blew out a tire on my '03. Luckily, not while riding. We've had some bad weather and so she sat for about 6 weeks. I went to get back on and the tire was blown. I think I ran over something the neighborhood kidz left in the lawn area around my apartment.

So anyway, does anyone know where I can buy less expensive tires online? Theres a Michelin on the front...might as well keep 'em the same I suppose. Unless, of course, someone else knows of a deal?

Old 11-29-2006, 01:44 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tires? Tires? Anyone? Tires?

I know that when I picked up a screw in my rear tire, everyone wanted to charge me like $300 bucks for a new tire. Someone on here recommended Bikebandit.com and I got a Dunlop Qualifier rear tire shipped to my house for $125.00 plus $6.00 ground shipping. Then I just paid for mounting. Whole thing cost me less than $200 bucks, which I was happy with.

I went with the Dunlop Qualifiers because of all the great things I've heard from them (a lot of my track-junkie friends recommended them strongly). I've heard a bit about the Michelin Pilot Powers being good and they're comparable to Dunlop Qualifiers. I didn't find the Michelin's on Bikebandit.com, but on Motorcycle-Superstore.com, they have them for about $150.99 and free shipping.

How many miles are on your front tire? I know it's better to replace them both so you don't have mixed tire compounds. But if it has quite a bit of life left, then I would go with just another rear for now and then replace both when the front begins to wear out. I know you can get package deals with front and rear tires for under $200 bucks on some online sites. I would just check around online and see what you can get (from a reputable source mind you).

Good luck, hope this helps.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:16 AM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

I've heard a bit about the Michelin Pilot Powers being good and they're comparable to Dunlop Qualifiers.
Some pro racers for whom I know and have the utmost respect didn't like the Qualifiers and...uhh...the Qualifiers are an attempt to compete with the Pilot Powers (the Powers came out first), so in essence the Qualifiers are comparable to Pilot Powers...

Anyway, I'd just go with the same brand and style tire you have on the front until you're ready to change both and where to get them cheap...go with the site sponsors...

Old 11-30-2006, 07:37 PM

I was faced with the same question, what tire to get and decided on Michelin PP 2CT. people have different opinions on what they like so I suggest reading different forums and reviews and pick one, then let us know whether you like it or not.

This helped me, I got it of some forum (can’t remember where, I saved the detail but not the link)

"The german mag MOTORRAD had an interesting tire comparo where they determined the best sport-touring tire and the best sport tire for street/trackday in the dry and wet with lap-times that don't lie and also tire wear/longevity.Interesting was also that the difference in corner speed between the best sport-touring tire and the best sport tire was only 2,5 mph and they said todays best touring tires have more than adequate traction for all kind of streetriding.Only if you do trackdays and are fast enough to get the sport tires warm enough sport tires are safer and the way to go...anyways the best sport-touring tires;

DRY
1) Metzeler Z6
and Conti Road Attack
2)Pirelli Diablo Strada
3)Dunlop D220
4)Michelin Pilot Road
5)Bridgestone BT020
6)Avon Azaro

WET
1)Pirelli Diablo Strada
2)Metzeler Z6
3)Michelin Pilot Road
4)Conti Road Attack
5)dunlop D220
6)Bridgestone BT020
7)Avon Azaro

Between the best and worst tire were 5,5 sec difference in lap time!
sport-tires;

DRY
1) Metzeler M3
2)Michelin Pilot Power 2CT
3)Michelin Pilot Power
4)Conti Sport Attack
5)Metzeler M1
6)Pirelli Diablo
7)Dunlop Qualifier
8)Bridgestone BT014
9)Avon Viper Sport

WET
1)Michelin Pilot Power
2)Michelin Pilot Power 2CT
3)Metzeler M3
4)Pirelli Diablo
5)Metzeler M1
6)Conti Sport Attack
7)Avon Viper Sport
8)Dunlop Qualifier
9)Bridgestone BT014

9,4 sec difference per lap between the fastest and slowest tire on the same motorcycle! (Yamaha R6)

6 tires were tested on tread wear;(rear tire)

1)Metzeler Z6 8400 miles
2)Pirelli Diablo 4400 miles
3)Metzeler M3 4100 miles
4)Michelin Pilot Power 2CT 3500 miles
5)Dunlop Qualifier 3100 miles
4)Conti Sport Attack 2500 miles (testbikes Buell XB12S)"

now if only it was not snowing here in Denver
As far a place to get them if you are in Denver I can recommend a place, prices are a couple of dollars more than eBay but they do off bike mounting and balance for $20 (both tires if you by thru them), now that's a deal.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:46 PM

I like my Metzler M3's.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:45 AM

ORIGINAL: blackbears
with lap-times that don't lie
Lap-times always lie.......especially in a comparison test like that.

The reasons are:
1. Different rides have different riding styles, therefore Rider A may may run his fastest lap on tire C, but Rider B may run his fastest lap on tire A. All because their style may suit one tire's company's construction, compound & shape better.
2. Different bikes, react differently to the same tires (My Ducati reacts very differently than my CBR does to the exact same tire).
3. Suspension set-up make s HUGE difference, if a bike is set-up for Michelin's, but running Pirelli's, it will be slightly off the pace and will not feel right.

Anywho... I agree with Fret. [:@]

Go with the same brand and style tire you have on the front until you're ready to change both... I'd try Lithium motorsports.

Old 12-01-2006, 04:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Fretless33

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

I've heard a bit about the Michelin Pilot Powers being good and they're comparable to Dunlop Qualifiers.
Some pro racers for whom I know and have the utmost respect didn't like the Qualifiers and...uhh...the Qualifiers are an attempt to compete with the Pilot Powers (the Powers came out first), so in essence the Qualifiers are comparable to Pilot Powers...

Anyway, I'd just go with the same brand and style tire you have on the front until you're ready to change both and where to get them cheap...go with the site sponsors...
What kind of statement is that.

The 208 was a great tire...people would run too low of pressure in them and overheat them. Dunlops heat up quick. Last I recall the 208 was out before the PP.

The Qualifier is a new tire they have, and I have heard nothing but good things about. Thank god you don't sell tires to people with an attitude like that.

I have 6800 miles on my qualifier and it feels great still! Plenty of thread left and it all sticks to the road like it was new. I could definetly not get the same mileage from a PP. They are two different profiles and to each their own. But don't discredit a tire cause you think it is a "comparable" tire.

Best Advice is this. Find a tire that suits YOUR riding style, and use. Along with what you can afford as well. Through experimenting will you find what it is you like that fits your riding style and price range!

Oh yeah let's not forget:

THE FASTEST BIKE IS DETERMINED BY A ........STOPWATCH!

Old 12-01-2006, 05:19 PM

my entire bike crew rolls pilot powers =]

Old 12-02-2006, 03:33 PM

OH BOY...YOUR CREW RIDES THEM...LET ME GO OUT AND BUY STOCK IN THE COMPANY!!!!!

DID OU ALL HEAR!!!! HIS CREW RIDES PP, gotta have them now!