best way to locate hole for sliders

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best way to locate hole for sliders

whatsup guys planning on installing frame sliders on my 05 rr was wondering if there where any tips to drilling out a perfect hole any and all help will be appreciated. thanks

Old 11-29-2006, 08:06 PM
Default RE: best way to locate hole for sliders

There are plenty of tutorials using the "play-doh method" and the "laser method"

Here's an alternate:
http://cbrworld.net/forums/post/240315.aspx

Old 11-29-2006, 08:26 PM

thanks

Old 11-29-2006, 08:30 PM

sry im slow how does this stencil work? do you print it and line it up to the bike.. again this is probably a short bus moment

Old 11-29-2006, 09:33 PM

Here's what I did and mine came out perfect. I pulled the left faring off and unscrewed the motor mount bolt out just far enough so that when I put the faring back on, it barely touched the bolt. Then I took the faring back off and put a little dab of silicone caulk on the head of the motor mount bolt. Then put the faring exactly back in place carefully pressing it against the bolt and when I took the faring back off it left a white dot and thats where you drill. This is probably hard to understand but also hard to explain without pictures to show you. You can also use a laser pointer if you have one. If so, take the faring off and position the pointer on a barstool or something similar with a C-clamp with the pointer pointing at the head of the bolt, then when you put the faring back in place, mark the spot where the red laser dot is and thats where you drill. If you use the laser pointer method make sure that the bike is on a bike stand and not on the kickstand because it needs to be level and not leaning. Which ever method you use make sure you do one side at a time because remember these bolts hold the motor in place. Also take the frame slider with you to get the hole saw because a lot of people get a 2 inch and thats too big. I think it's like a 1 7/8 or sumping like that. Good luck, we're all counting on you. LOL! Airplane was a great movie. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:56 PM

thanks man appreciate all your help im probably gunno do the marking method because i dont have a stand just yet, did you drill the hole with the fairing off or on.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:59 AM

you can get no hole sliders they came with a bracket and fit perfectly. that's what i did anyway

Old 11-30-2006, 11:14 AM

raptor.. i never seen this kinda set up do you have ay pics or a link where you purchased them. thanks

Old 11-30-2006, 05:14 PM

This is what I always post for this question:

Follow one of these techniques and they will be near perfect:

Here are a few nice installation recommendations from another site:

"You'll need some play doh

1. Take off the fairings
2. Take out the right side engine bolt, I believe this is the side with the pinch bolt, I'm too lazy to go look to confirm but don't forget to loosen it first or you'll be battling with it all day.
3. Install the longer bolt from the frame slider.
4. Now look at the fairing and you'll notice an impression in the foam made from the OEM engine bolt. Cut away enough foam for the slider to go through.
5. Place a hunk of play doh over the spot and remount the fairing pressing the bolt into the play doh. BE CAREFUL TO GET IT RIGHT HERE AS THIS PART IS CRUCIAL to centering up your hole.
6. Carefully pull the fairing off while doing your best to not mess up the impression.
7. Drill a small pilot hole through the centre of the play doh impression from inside out.
8. Tape up the painted side of your fairing with masking tape to avoid chipping up the edges.
9. Use a hole bit/saw (usually 2") and drill the hole through your fairing.
10. Install slider, remove tape and reinstall the fairing.
11. Do the same for the other side.

Alternate method if you have at least a rear stand and a laser level.

1. Mount the bike on the stand, that way she's nice and stable and upright.
2. With the fairings off, line up the dead centre of the engine bolt with the laser level.
3. For OBVIOUS REASONS, make sure the laser level is far enough away from your work area to ensure it can't be knocked, moved etc.
4. Mount the fair back on and the laser level should mark the dead centre on the fairing itself.
5. Mark the hole and go from step 7 mentioned above. "

Old 11-30-2006, 06:13 PM

here's a pic of the sliders when i find the link i will post it

[IMG]local://upfiles/12145/7C16133F8B2943AAA5D3D169C19AAEEF.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: best way to locate hole for sliders