The Timing of a Crash...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Timing of a Crash...

I was out for a wonderful ride yesteray evening on my new RR going through some mountail curves, just taking it pretty easy. Was finishing a straight and braking for an upcoming left hander, down shifted when all the sudden a BIG Ford F-250 comes hurdling around the corner way too fast for the truck & he slid right over into my lane about 3/4 of the way!!![sm=insomnia.gif]

Well, I was still about 200 feet away & just slowed big time, and headed for the right hand shoulder to give room to slip by him.

No harm done...

BUT REALLY got my attention!!! Now I know many experienced riders here have multiple examples of this sort of thing, but it really got me to thinking about the timing of crashes. I mean if I was about 3 seconds sooner into that turn I'm not sure there was much I could've done. CHILLING!!! I was not speeding. I was totally in my lane. But I would've been dead meat.

Course the same scenario in any cage would've also resulted in at least a bad accident & potentially a fatality too. So I'm not trying to make the bike look worse. In fact, there's a bit more "wiggle room" on a bike vs a car due to smaller footprint on the road.

Man, sometimes these bad deals are just bad timing eh?

Gotta remain VIGILANT as heck to stack the deck as much as possible in your favor!!! But also realize life isn't safe, no matter what you're doing.

Old 06-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Default RE: The Timing of a Crash...

wow, that must have raised your heart beat a little glad you came out of it unscathed! i've had several close calls... mostly cars pulling out in front of me and i end up grabbing a handful of break! that's what scares me about blind corners... ya never know what you'll come up against!

Old 06-12-2006, 04:03 PM

Good to hear your your alright. I've had a bunch of those while driving my car and only a couple on my bike. Once while in my car a 3000gt ran a stop sign while out in the country and was doing at least 85, if I would have known that I could have went straight and taken a short cut instead of turn like I did, I would have been t boned. Funny how stuff like that wakes you up isn't it?

Old 06-12-2006, 04:25 PM

Geeez, close call man. Good thing you're all right. I read in Sportbike Rider mag that when you're makin' rights it's ok to toe the line, but when making big turns to the left stay to the right of the lane for this exact reason. Your bike might be in the proper lane, but because you're leaning, your head or even whole upper body could be exposed into the other side of the road. Gotta be careful of that.

Reminds me of this time I was driving and these idiot kids were street racing. They were coming towards me around a bend and one car actually came into my lane to pass the other car. These guys had no idea what they were doin' and the car that came into my lane lost traction, slammed into the curb, then bounced across to the other side of the road (while doing a 180 and nearly flipping over in the process) and hit the other curb, then finally skidded to a stop in the middle of the road. Luckily I was able to react quickly and I managed to stop my car, throw it in reverse and back up to avoid getting hit myself. Stupid, stupid, teenagers. The best part though, was the smashed up car was a Beamer LOL. I would have loved to have seen the guy explain it to the cops and his parents. I just drove around the wreck and took off, laughing my *** off all the way.

Old 06-12-2006, 05:29 PM

You just got your bike too! glad to hear you are OK.

Here's my close call: SOCCER MOM at an intersection, she looks both ways, then right at me (through me), pulls out to turn left- sees me and then stops in the middle of the road with eyes the size of softballs! I had my escape route planned out already (thanks to Sport Riding Techniques) and zipped right in the center of the yellow line (thank God nobody was coming in the other direction!). I really wanted to take off her mirror, but opted to be safe. My father told me of an old trick- keep a pocket of ball bearings in your jacket if you want revenge. I would have liked to used them!

Old 06-12-2006, 06:51 PM

See now, I thought I was the only one that layed in bed at night thinkin' "Holy S**t! I was almost all in on that one"

Old 06-13-2006, 04:57 PM

same here man. i was taking a left hand turn this past weekend when a guy on his cell phone came into my lane halfway thru the turn. needless to say i nearly shat myself! i've already had one major crash last month and definitely do not need another one. stay safe bro!

Old 06-13-2006, 09:00 PM

Most common motorcycle accident is caused by people turning left in front of or into a cyclist...

I've had too many "close calls" to recall...

Old 06-14-2006, 02:35 AM

yep we can go at any time Im convinced when our clocks up were off so live every day to the fullest and try to keep ur finger tips in the mean time[:@] DOH!

good to hear ur ok man give me a call if u ever want to go for a EASY ride around chattanooga