Tick Tick Tick Tick!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tick Tick Tick Tick!!

Can anybody troubleshoot for me PLEASE and let me know why there is a damn wheel-o-fortune ticker [:@] on my bike someplace? i get sick of hearing it! any ideas? even if it's something stupid that i might've overlooked. i know it's not my chain, that's makes a diff noise, lol i have that tight enough. sounds like it's coming from the front of the bike but ya never really can tell. when i'm going 20mph+ it's just a steady tick as fast as i'm going, but if i go slow it's like 1 tick for every 2 or 3 rotations of the tire. Thanks and NO you cannot buy a vowel!

Old 09-29-2006, 10:43 PM
Default RE: Tick Tick Tick Tick!!

ball bearings need to be lube i believe.. i get the same ticking sound from my driver side front wheel in my camaro - asked someone and they said it's your bearings.. then he told me "yeah your lucky because if the bearing is not properly lubed it could cause a huge wreck if he just stops rotating"

So might want to go to honda dealership and get them to fix it (it's just my logical.. i dont know if that's really the problem but sounds just like the problem i had with my car) you couldnt hear it over about 30mphs because the engine and wind were muffling it - but when you were comming to a stop or in a residental area, about 10-25mph you could hear it like just like a kid with a baseball card cliped to the bike spoakes.

also what i did to find what tire is was, well kind-of just went about 5mph in a safe area (parking lot at night) and put my head out the window to hear where it might be comming from - didnt take long to find what tire.. and you got a 50/50 chance haha just get them both done if i were you.

good luck and get it done - you dont want your bike wheel locking up on you (especially the front, Ouch)

Old 09-30-2006, 12:05 AM

Could be your CCT. what weight oil are you running?

Is it consistent with road speed or engine speed?

Old 09-30-2006, 05:18 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like the engine is just ticking is all. 4-cylinders (in cars and bikes) are notorious for the little ticking noises they make (my 1994 Dodge Shadow makes almost the exact same noise as my bike) I consider it normal, let me know if you find out different though.

Old 09-30-2006, 01:05 PM

It's consistent with my road speed. I hope it's not my cct, i don't know much about it but from my searches that is something that i don't want 2 be faulty. I don't even know what weight oil because i had just bought the bike 3 weeks ago and the dealer just said it had a fresh oil change, and i figured i was going to make my own decision on the next oil change so it didn't matter what was in it, it should be fine since they did it. would the cct tick if it was consistent with my engine speed? thanks all

Old 09-30-2006, 02:30 PM

Alright, this may be hard to explain but, i just took it out for a ride (48 degrees and raining) but oh well, live 2 ride.. i think i retract my statement about the road speed.(but it may be because i can't tell, if i'm in high rpms it's too loud to hear the tick so it's almost always going with road & engine speed) it only ticks while accelerating. if i don't touch the throttle it won't make a noise, but even if i twist the throttle a 1/4' it will start ticking. and i went to wal mart and i was in first no clutch/no throttle just letting it cruise on it's own @ about 4-5 mph, and it would still tick every few seconds. i'm almost 89% posistive it's coming from the rear wheel. but going that slow is the only way i can hear it w/o the throttle. because @ 30mph it's a major difference from the throttle ticking to nothing when i let off. so i don't understand, i can't say it ticks only on acceleration but anything over 5mph that's true. could this be my chain being junk? a bad link? because my chain is in the replace limit on the adjuster. please somebody tell me that it is probably just my chain! lol sorry for rambling.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:06 AM

Maybe it's a dry (not enough lube) chain?

Maybe the chain has too much slack?

Old 10-01-2006, 02:50 AM

haha if's it chain that needs be lubed.. take after this lesson - https://cbrforum.com/m_168221/tm.htm

(dont be this guy)

Old 10-01-2006, 04:04 AM

my bike is making the same noise...i am so freakin paranoid

Old 10-01-2006, 05:37 AM
Retired Moderator

I just got done crusing around town tonight. My 06 RR makes that ticking noise. My friends 06 CBR (two weeks newer than mine) makes the same noise. Another buddy's 2005 CBR does the same ticking noise too. It sounds like it's shaping up to be a normal noise that these things just make. I'm going to take it in for a checkup and ask my dealer if they heard anything about faulty CCT's or this noise in their bikes (3 of the techs own the 600RR).

Quick Reply: Tick Tick Tick Tick!!