Throttle doesn't open smoothy

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2022, 12:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Throttle doesn't open smoothy

Hello there

I've just noticed something a little odd about my new to me RR-5. The bike is in amazing condition, well maintained and it looks like months old not the 17 years since it was built. Opening the throttle requires a little bit of effort from the closed position. There's some stiction.

I'm wondering if it's normal as in 'they all do that Sir' or whether it's odd or a sign of something needing sorting.

The throttle is smooth otherwise. It feels just like the butterfly's are wedging slightly in the closed throttle position.

Any ideas?

Peter

Old 07-15-2022, 02:44 PM
Received 387 Likes on 349 Posts

Could me multiple issues. My '05 was buttery smooth. However, my '07 had "sticky" throttle that made cornering smoothly on track impossible. I did:

1. remove both cables and flossed teflon lube through them until it ran out bottom
2. sprayed wax-lube on right-handlebar & inside throttle-tube when re-assembling
3. removed throttle-plates from throttle-bodies and greased bearings
4. set throttle-plate closed-position angle according to manual, measured sync later.
5. did TPS test from manual: 5v reference voltage, shorts, measured TPS output-voltage at various openings
6. MAP-sensor, ran new hose and measured vacuum at idle. Measured MAP output-voltage key ON, bike not running (simulates WOT). Then at idle.
7. removed acceleration fuel-cutoff setting in ECU, also fine-tuned some WOT mixtures to remove excessive fuel

Not sure exactly which one of those solved my on/off throttle stumble since I did it all at once. But '07 now buttery-smooth at low-throttle just like my '05..

Last edited by dannoxyz; 07-15-2022 at 02:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sanemancured (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by dannoxyz
Could me multiple issues. My '05 was buttery smooth. However, my '07 had "sticky" throttle that made cornering smoothly on track impossible. I did:

1. remove both cables and flossed teflon lube through them until it ran out bottom
2. sprayed wax-lube on right-handlebar & inside throttle-tube when re-assembling
3. removed throttle-plates from throttle-bodies and greased bearings
4. set throttle-plate closed-position angle according to manual, measured sync later.
5. did TPS test from manual: 5v reference voltage, shorts, measured TPS output-voltage at various openings
6. MAP-sensor, ran new hose and measured vacuum at idle. Measured MAP output-voltage key ON, bike not running (simulates WOT). Then at idle.
7. removed acceleration fuel-cutoff setting in ECU, also fine-tuned some WOT mixtures to remove excessive fuel

Not sure exactly which one of those solved my on/off throttle stumble since I did it all at once. But '07 now buttery-smooth at low-throttle just like my '05..
Thats a comprehensive list, thank you. My stickiness is with the ignition off. It’s also when the butterfly’s are allowed to settle in the closed position for a second or so.
when my manual arrives I’ll have a look at things. It’s not twistgrip methinks and lubing cables is somewhere to start.

Old 07-15-2022, 03:10 PM
Received 387 Likes on 349 Posts

Might be someone compensating for intake-vacuum leaks by unscrewing throttle-stop screw too much. Butterfly-plates may be biting into side of throttle-body. Adjust it to slightly cracked open according to manual.

The following users liked this post:
Sanemancured (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 03:14 PM

The bike is pretty much untouched/not messed with from new. I'll check the manual.

Old 07-17-2022, 07:34 AM

With the engine running the issue goes away.