Taking Off ?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking Off ?!

OK as everyone knows who's been checkin' out my posts Im new to the street bike world.. I;m a girl 5ft.3in bought my first REAL bike, pick it up next week.. Which brings me to my question.... Taking off in first gear on the RR, what's it like?? CAn you ride this bike like a nromal bike (you know like a cruiser or something) untiL i;M USED TO THE WAY IT PURRS!!! i WANT TO BE ABLE TO GET A FEEL FOR SHIFTING THIS BIKE VERSUS A DIRT BIKE WHICH IS WHAT i;VE RIDEN....

Old 04-28-2006, 10:48 AM
Default RE: Taking Off ?!

I am new to this too, but from my 2 week experience i can say that is not hard but you have to be carefull with the throttle. The gas is very "touchy" so just take it easy at first learning how to control the gas and you'll be ok.
Thats my opinion if anyone disagrees with me or has another perspective let me know.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:51 AM

slow smooth clutch and gas combination...like mixing koolaid..mix it to fast you will spill it...to much gas with a popped clutch will do the same..but like i was told in the MSC the 5 friction zones of the clutch...start counting when u first feel the slightest engaging

Old 04-28-2006, 12:06 PM

slvr600RR congrads on the bike damn i still dont have mine lol I love you sig =P Ive only rode once and its not that much diff from a dirtbike (to me) but you HAVE to remember this has ALOT more power dont get cocky to fast and you'll be ok =P good luck!

Old 04-28-2006, 02:28 PM

SteveO nailed it ..mix it like kool aid..its a bit tricky at first..when you do get the bkie home..go to a parking lot and get the feel for it for a few hrs..starts and stops...it unlike anything ive ever riddne before and thats what makes it soo addciting..

Old 04-28-2006, 07:33 PM

i hope its not drifting too far off topic, but when i was first learning to ride (which was my first time with a standard transmission as well) i would practice in the driveway in back of the house, i had bruises on my shins from where they would hit the footpegs when i would stall the engine, but i finally got it! then, i moved to the streets of my neighborhood, plenty of stop signs, so id be sure to get lots of practice. and after so often, i got really good at that. well, i wanted to try it out on the highway, my first taste of traffic. and i was so nervous what with all the cars around and behind me, i would stall at almost every light. it was so embarassing and i couldnt believe how different it was, lol. im not quite sure where i was going with that, but you get better and better over time. if you watch me enough, you can still catch me stall the engine every once in a while. lol

oh yea, and the throttle was the very first thing that let me know that this bike isn't playing any games with me!! (the 600rr i mean) but the clutch is smooth as can be, after you get the finessed hand movements, everything will start to become second nature

Old 04-28-2006, 08:14 PM

Ok am I the only one who thinks it would be just totally HOT to see this girl riding her new 600RR down the street!?

Alright, back to the topic at hand. Like has been said before, the clutch is really smooth on this bike. Yes, the trottle is a bit touchy but it isn't bad at all once you've practiced a little. The bike you got is the same as my very first bike too so we're in the same boat here with experience level. Do what other's have suggested.....go to a parking lot and practice starting and stopping over and over again. You'll get the hang of it pretty quick. Once you think you got it, practice some more. One more thing to note: Be careful the first time you decide to open it up with a full throttle! This bike takes off like a rocket....but ohhh it's so impressive! The other day I was riding for like two hours straight and when I got home and took off my helmet......all I wanted to do was get right back on and ride again! This bike is truly a thing of beauty, and an incredible piece of technology. So much fun!!!! Have fun with your new toy baby doll.....

Old 04-29-2006, 07:11 AM

I've said it before in her other posts, girls and bikes are the best combination in the world, and I challenge anyone to disagree.

So far I've had to agree with everyone else's post. The clutch is light and smooth, and starts to let out at about 3/4 of the way (at least it does on mine for first gear). The throttle is really sensitive so practice tiny, tiny wrist movements with your right hand. Throttle up and down smoothly and SLOWLY at first. Even when letting up on the throttle, if you just release it a bit too much too quickly, you'll get a noticeable jerk. Anatomically speaking, you're lucky enough that if you do jerk the bike a bit, the gas tank won't ram into that special friend[:@]. Hope this helps.