F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Taking F4i out of storage-what next?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 01:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking F4i out of storage-what next?

I am gonna be taking my '01 F4i out of storage in the next few weeks. I was wondering what I need to do.

I know I need to change the oil, but I dont know if I should just change the oil before starting it, or should I start the bike and let it run for a few minutes to warm up the oil, then change the oil.

Also, I put sta-bil in the gas before topping it off and putting it into storage. Is the gas good to go or should I drain and refill the gas tank. My old Bandit ran rough when I got to the end of a tank of gas because it was old gas from storage. I ended up draining the gas and putting fresh gas in and that fixed the problem. But since the F4i is fuel injected I didnt know if it would just compensate for the old gas until it all burns off. Because I have never had a gas problem with the car I store.

I am then gonna check the tire pressure, and lube the chain. Is there anything else I should do before hitting the streets?

Thanks.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:03 AM

Obviously every time you change the oil you should make sure its warm.

The gas should be fine, thats the whole point of putting stabilizers in it.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also check your airbox.Mice and rats like to make nests in there.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:40 PM

I would think to change the oil before you start her up. After sitting, all the crud settles to the bottom, why would you want to stir it up and pump dirty oil around your clutch, tranny and motor? a fresh oil change would be ideal for the first start of the season.....

Old 03-01-2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sick97SS
I would think to change the oil before you start her up. After sitting, all the crud settles to the bottom, why would you want to stir it up and pump dirty oil around your clutch, tranny and motor? a fresh oil change would be ideal for the first start of the season.....

Your oil should hold that crap it is supposed to help settle out...without running it and warming up the oil most of it wont come out...including the oil holding the crap you dont want in there.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:18 PM

Your gas will be fine. I've ridden mine a couple times, ran totally fine. I changed my oil last year, but I do one about half way through the season anyways.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:55 PM

You ideally want to change your oil before you store your bike. That you way you flush out at least some of the contaminants and water/moisture that has built up in there and does not attack the parts within the crankcase.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by kx_rider53
You ideally want to change your oil before you store your bike. That you way you flush out at least some of the contaminants and water/moisture that has built up in there and does not attack the parts within the crankcase.

Your planning and intelligence makes my head hurt

but +1

Old 03-01-2010, 06:34 PM

Probabally should have change the oil before you put her away for the same reasons metioned above. Im planning a coolant change and new brake fluid for my bike this weekend.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:43 PM

i had done an oil change a around 600-800 miles before storing it... i didnt feel like doing another one just before storage.

Quick Reply: Taking F4i out of storage-what next?