Stunt Bar frame sliders

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stunt Bar frame sliders

Well it was bound to happen, and thankfully I was the one who did it. My bike was knocked over, by me, backing my car into my parking spot at my apartment. The damage was minimal thanks to the frame sliders that where on the bike. The most damage was sustained by the one on the right side.

I picked the bike up (which is no easy task as you may already know) and the right side frame slider was bent, upward. Low and behold I checked the right one and it now spins without ending.

My question now, is how do I remove these things in order to A) repair them and put them back on, or B) take them off and put new ones on? I tried to figure out how to take them off when I was doing my oil change but I couldn't see how to remove them. There is a cap on the end of them and a bolt going through the slider, but not the cap. Any suggestions? Should I try to pry off the cap on the end and see if I that is where the nut end is?

I've never taken off/put frame sliders on so I am unsure how they are held on the bike.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:04 PM

I am going to assume you have sliders with replacable pucks. The delrin puck usually is held on to the metal slider shaft by a set screw on the side. Check all around for the screw, it is probably recessed into the metal and may just look like a hole that has been drilled in the side.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:34 PM

In the picture above you can see the left side and how bent it is. I checked for a set screw and was unable to find one. Would the puck "ends" be screwed on and require something like a pipe wrench to hold one end and then twist the end off? Here is a picture of the style of sliders they are:

Old 06-28-2011, 04:42 PM

That bolt head on the side doesn't hold the puck on?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:33 PM

Not that I was able to see, I took the bolt out when I did the oil change and the puck at the end stays in place. Do you think the two are fitted together, where the puck slides into the "slider?"

Old 06-28-2011, 07:45 PM

Yeah, take that bolt out and then try to pull or turn the puck out. Never seen one like that, so it is just a guess.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:34 PM

I took the bolt out and the puck still stays on. It looks like I might have to remove the fairing in order to remove them and that's a real pain with them on....

Old 06-30-2011, 11:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By the looks of em i would say you take that bolt out and then use some sort of pliers to turn the end portion off. That bolts not there for cosmetic appeal. By the look of rust i would assum they have rusted together. Use some WD40 and let it soak for a night then give it a try.

Just an observation but those things look like damn pegs they are sticking out so far. If it did that in a tip over i wouldnt wanna see em in a lowside.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:56 PM

I soaked them down and took the bolt out to try and twist the puck free but I had no luck. My next bet is to take the fairing completely off again and try to see how I can remove them. These are proving to be unreliable if they have caused this much damage in only a tip over, I need take them off and find a suitable replacement.