Steering damper adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 02:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering damper adjustment

Well guys I think I'm gona get the scotts or gpr steering damper and I have some questions.
First anyone know where to beat 385.00 for one and next the settings.

I see that you can adjust this thing so that it will only dampe when the wheel is turned a little or you can adjust it wher it dampens the steering no matter how far the wheel is turned.
Why would i just want to damper the steering only from the eleven o'clock to one o'clock position when it can be dampened all the way from the nine o'clock to the three o'clock position. is there a problem with the steering if you dampen it all the way through the turn radious.

Also when you are making a turn leaning quit far when the tire naturaly follows the bumps in the road will the damper give the same effect as holding the bars to tight and not letting inertia and centrifiacl forse do their job and keep the bike straight or keep it from straightening out as you exit the turn. I understand the safty part when you get a slaper and it dampens an abrupt jolt but how I don't want my steering and the bikes natural ability to right itself to be compromised.

Old 02-09-2006, 11:54 AM
Default RE: Steering damper adjustment

www.ridersinc.com 340.00 for a GPR (8 click) just bought mine... or www.600rr.net there is a guy in the classified selling a GPR 8 click for 300... course the sale came up like 2 weeks after I had received mine from MRI... but anyway, the adjustability doesn't control where the damper functions, rather how stiff it is... the dial on the GPR 1 is the softest (can't even feel that it's on the bike really) and 8 is the hardest... at around 4 or 5 you'd be hard pressed to turn the bars at all without busting the clip ons (exagerating but it gets real stiff real fast). anyway, for street riding most people stick with 1.5-2.5 and for track it varies on your preference.

also, the handle bars don't really "turn" when the tire follows bumps in the road... the damper allows for smooth slow movements but not violent sharp ones... also once again the stiffness of the damping setting should be set based on the kind of riding you're doing. You're correct in assuming that you wouldn't want it to be super stiff on rough roads, which is why most people leave them relatively soft. esp up here in michigan where ALL of our roads suck.

Old 02-09-2006, 11:54 PM

does everyone think that a steering dampner is needed on our bikes? from what i have read, the bike has such great suspention that it is not needed?

Old 02-10-2006, 10:52 AM

it's helpful... personally i've never had a problem with head shake when the front has come off the ground I've been able to put her back down perfectly square... even had a few come up when i was leaned over and the front end got real light, but i let it back down ok... It's for of a safety thing because if you're not real focused on getting her down square you'll get bucked off in a hurry... this kind of adds a little security and prevention.

Old 02-10-2006, 12:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no it's not needed for the RR as it is for an r6, etc. where the front lifts easily.
if you do lots of wheelies or have throttle control issues where the front keeps lifting then you may need one.
however, if you have a properly adjusted suspension, you shouldn't need one.

scotts allows for both high speed and low speed dampening, however, adjusting one takes away from the other.
T