Steering damper

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 11:57 PM
August 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering damper

How many people have after market steering damper? Was it easy to adjust how you ride according to the tightness of steering?

Old 03-06-2011, 01:25 AM

I have ridden with one on a 600rr and yes it's very easy to adjust it.....
The one my buddy had he just had to turn a dial to change the settings...

Old 03-06-2011, 02:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know why you would want another one on there. I think the HESD that comes with the newer bikes is great. I only say newer cause im not sure when they added it to their line.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:19 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
I dont know why you would want another one on there. I think the HESD that comes with the newer bikes is great. I only say newer cause im not sure when they added it to their line.
Honda put the HESD system on the 600RR in 2007. Like fenatic I am going to ask why you want an after market damper. If you got one would you disable the HESD?

Old 03-06-2011, 10:54 AM
August 2011 ROTM

I didn't know that. ok, so I don't need it.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:43 PM
January 2012 AND 2013 Ride of the Month

but the 03 -06 rr dont have a damper right? i was thinking about getting the Pitbull one for my 05 600rr but ..maybe in the future. im just a daily rider

Old 03-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yumoncbr
I didn't know that. ok, so I don't need it.
when you turn your key there is a light on your dash that reads HESD. It disappears after a few seconds but its there. If you look and the top left portion of your tank youll see a small black rubber sleeve. Thats your steering dampner arm. I would have to say that the HESD is top of the line and you wouldnt ever need another one.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:30 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by nuttynu
but the 03 -06 rr dont have a damper right? i was thinking about getting the Pitbull one for my 05 600rr but ..maybe in the future. im just a daily rider
Correct the 03-06 RR does not have one

Old 03-06-2011, 11:50 PM

Some racers and track junkies change out the HESD for a GPR or whatever other brand. Reason being is due to the inconstancy of the feel in our HESD. Since the HESD works on throttle input you don't get the same feel on slow turn like you do on faster turns. HRC bikes have the ability to adjust the force of the HESD but stock bikes do not. So some people opt to replace the HESD by removing it and mounting another. It really is a preference thing to be honest. Just like how you can adjust the force needed to your likening on any other dampener, some either like the HESD or not.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by sincalirider
Some racers and track junkies change out the HESD for a GPR or whatever other brand. Reason being is due to the inconstancy of the feel in our HESD. Since the HESD works on throttle input you don't get the same feel on slow turn like you do on faster turns. HRC bikes have the ability to adjust the force of the HESD but stock bikes do not. So some people opt to replace the HESD by removing it and mounting another. It really is a preference thing to be honest. Just like how you can adjust the force needed to your likening on any other dampener, some either like the HESD or not.
Yeah. But he wanted one because he knows nothing about the motorcycle he's on. He wanted one to tack on another "mod" to the list on his sig. RACERS disable the street-savvy HESD for something more practical for the track. I disagree with the "inconsistent" statement. Like I said, they're practical for road use, not race use.

OP, no. You don't need one. There is a perfectly worthy steering damper under your tank, that you're probably not utilizing to it's fullest potential anyway. Side note: the bike would handle better if you didn't "lower it to the max it can go."

Just throwin it out there..

Last edited by Junior2552; 03-07-2011 at 11:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Steering damper