speedometer goes out when i hit a bump

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedometer goes out when i hit a bump

well the title says it all. when i hit a bump (even a small one) in the road, the speedometer goes down considerably. any ideas on what is causing this? i checked the main wire harness and the cluster guage plug and all seem to be making good contact. any thoughts? also my bike heats up very fast compared to the ninja zx6r i was riding for a week while i got my honda. is this normal? Its not overheating but it sure does heat up fast even in 32 degree weather it gets to 180 degrees in no time then it jumps back down to 165 (i am assuming that the thermostat opens when this happens). any responses would be appriciated.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Default RE: speedometer goes out when i hit a bump

My first thought is that you have an exposed wire somewhere that is grounding out every time you hit a bump. But if that is the case, then I am shocked your not blowing fuses. None-the-less, I think I would take a look at any aftermarket rewiring you might have done (i.e. aftermarket turn signals) and make sure all of the wires are covered.

Oh yea, make sure the battery is secure and doesn't have any loose connections- that would cause it to go out but wouldn't kill the bike.

I am no electronics wizard, so I might be off base, but at lease it is a starting point...

Old 03-27-2008, 06:08 AM

found the problem. It seems that my disk brake lock was causing some trouble in the trunk. I stored it in there while i was riding, right next to the alarm module and every time i hit a bump, the brake moved and did something to the wiring there that caused a flux in the speedometer. strange... guess i will have to put the disk brake lock in my pocket from now on.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:47 PM

if your bike is only getting up to 180, that isn't too bad. Mine gets in the 200s in traffic, reaching as much as 220 in summer traffic down here in miami