Should I upgrade to the 600RR?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 12:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I upgrade to the 600RR?

First of all, new to the forums. Hope I can stick around and learn a thing or 2.

Been riding a 2005 F4i for a little while now and I'm kinda bored of it. Was thinking of upgrading either to the 600RR or to the Yamaha R6. Looking at 07-08 models. I mostly use the bike for commuting to school/work. Don't do any stunting or racing or anything like that. I like a very fast and responsive bike for the streets though. I know these bikes are very similar but I like responsiveness in the low RPM range so that I'm not pushing it too hard.

Is it worth it and if so, which bike? Thanks for the input.

Last edited by Detox; 02-23-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:07 AM
July 2008 ROTM

I guess it's just up to you. From what it sounds like, you don't need anything more than the F4i. The RR will have a more race-bread body positioning, which you will notice after commuting on it for a while. And while the newer ones are very refined and are a blast to ride, they're meant for RIDING. IMO, I don't buy a sport bike to commute on. I go out and push the corners and have a blast.

The F4i also has all the power you need for the street. If you're really looking to round out the performance of the bike, invest the money in a Power Commander and a custom tune (will get you about $600-700 on average). It will improve throttle response and help the bike feel smoother in all RPMs.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:27 AM

Not sure if your talkn' 07 RR or not? but id say based on riding posistion alone get the CBR! while the R6 looks sweet, it will def put more strain on your wrists/back. Just sitting on them at a recent bike show you can tell the diff! Glad i have the RR

Old 02-23-2009, 04:44 PM

Alright thanks guys. Looks like I probably won't be going with an R6 then. I got mixed reactions here...some people say the F4i is enough and others say get the 600RR. I'm guessing the general consensus is that the 600RR is better than the R6 in terms of comfort and street riding but it's not a worthwhile upgrade from the F4i? If it is a worthwhile upgrade, then I'll definitely get one. If not, I'll just stick to my F4i.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:50 PM

And just to clarify, I'm looking at either a 2007 or 2008 600RR. Probably 08 though.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:56 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Is the 600RR an upgrade over the F4i? Definitely. But it is a worth-while upgrade for YOU?

If you're willing to shell out the coin for an 08 bike because you want one, no one here is going to be able to tell you otherwise. But based on the riding you say you do, I personally think it'd be a waste of money. An 08 600RR will not be that much faster than an F4i. It will have improved throttle response and much better handling. But you won't be getting much use out of the improved handling if you're just driving down the highway. And the throttle response of the F4i can be greatly improved with a properly-tuned Power Commander.

The F4i is a very capable motorcycle. It will handle most situations just fine. And you'll probably be more comfortable with the F4i's more upright seating position with all that highway riding.

There's the pros and cons. Now you decide :-p

Old 02-24-2009, 02:46 AM

The better throttle response is exactly what I'm looking for. Better handling is also a huge plus. I'm not always on the highway, I go through the streets a lot every single day. In fact, I'm mostly on regular streets. Honestly, I don't HAVE to get an 08 600RR...like I said if it wasn't worth it then I won't do it. But it sounds like it is worth it.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:53 AM
July 2008 ROTM

That's why it's up to you.

To clarify, the only way to really enjoy the upgraded handling of the 600RR is by riding a bike like a BIKE, you know? There's no way to fully experience a sport bike by driving down normal roads. I'm talking mountain twisty roads and track days. Trying you're damndest to get that knee to touch the ground, that sort of stuff!

Old 02-24-2009, 09:19 AM

Id say stick with the f4i for now.. and save some cash.. I wouldnt make a purchase unless I was 100% sure. You dont do any sport riding? I love my 600rr but I mostly use it for sport riding. Hitting all the nice twisties and back roads around my area.

Quick Reply: Should I upgrade to the 600RR?