Serious help needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious help needed

Hey guys,

I picked up an 04 600 rr last year from some guy and everything has been kinda strange. I'm trying to get the bike back to normal since it seems like this guy screwed with it quite a bit. The problems are as listed. Any solutions will be great.

1. When i start the bike, it idles high. Between 2200 - 2700k rpms on start up and even after its warmed up. The idle adjuster doesn't do anything.

2. The bike sat in my garage over the winter. One day it was nice out so my cousin took the bike for a spin. When he came back the gas cap wasn't sitting flush with the cover. I popped the cover off this past weekend and noticed the gas tank had imploded. My first reaction was "What?" TF. How did this happen?

3. Once i warm the bike up and i rev the engine, it seems to sputter or hesitate as the revs drop back down. Instead of a smooth flow, its more a vroom, bah bah bah bah down to 2500k. Sorry for the cheasy explanation, but thats the best i can do.

If you guys know of any solutions, i would greatly appreciate it. I'm ordering a gas tank off of eBay, so i don't think i'll have a problem replacing that.

George

Old 04-21-2008, 08:55 AM
Default RE: Serious help needed

Is your adjuster connected you idle should be half that. Did you leave gas in it over the winter, you winterize it?

Old 04-21-2008, 09:31 AM

I left some gas in the tank, less than a quarter. I didn't really do anything else to winterize it.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:34 AM

The idle adjuster was connected, but i'm not sure if it was really doing anything. When i turned the ****, nothing would change. And whats strange is that i brought the bike into the stealership, they had it for a month, never fixed anything, charged me $400 for the labor to take the fairings off and then put them back on, and i recently noticed the idle adjuster is not there anymore. All i want is to get the bike running normal.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:08 AM

Did you inspect the bike when you bought it? Any high idle or sputter should have been noticed before you brought it home. Try fuel injector cleaner and crank thru 1st -2nd gear at high rpm's...

Sounds like you got something to work on. It'll keep you busy.

Gas tank imploding is a new one...somehow, the pressure inside the tank dropped and it crushed, like when you suck out the air on a 2-liter soda bottle? Or maybe it was like that before and you didn't notice it?

You joined 6/2005 and you have 2 posts?

Old 04-21-2008, 10:28 AM

I did inspect the bike, although it must have been one of the shadiest deals i've ever experienced. The guy didn't have a battery in the bike. He took one out of another bike, started this bike for 30 seconds, then shut it off. Don't ask me why, but i bought it. That's behind me now.

I do have something to work on and thats why im trying to get some help.

Yeah, the tank looksjust like a two liter bottle that was crushed. Ill try to take some pics and post them. It wan't like that before cuz i had the tank cover off last summer to run some wires and it was fine.

I used to have an F4 and thats when i joined this forum. I've run into a few problems now so thats why im looking for some advice on the forums.I don't know if i mentioned this but the bike is an 04 600rr. Any help is appreciated.Thanks guys.

George

Old 04-21-2008, 11:00 AM

Well, now you know why he started it for only 30 seconds. I hope you didn't pay top dollar for it, but like you said, that's behind you now.

Start by getting a Honda Shop Manual. I have one for the 03-04 600 RR, if you need pics of the pages I can post for you, let me know what section of the bike you want to see...or I think there are websites that have the manuals in pdf that you can download...