Saddlebags

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 01:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saddlebags

Well, it's been a while since this topic came up. More specifically a very long time for us 600rr riders. Here's the deal, and thus my question. I'm pretty much against using the rr as a commuter bike, I did it for a while, and learned that the car is worth putting a few extra bucks in gas, especially during the wet weather days. But I am however planning on doing a few trips with the bike. Nothing all that serious, and definately not longer then a weekend (atleast without having a chase vehicle.) And so, I need to get some more cargo storage. Ofcourse I'll use a backpack also, but that won't be enough. So is anybody using saddlebags these days? I've found a few, and looked through old posts, but the problem seems to be that we have an undertail exhaust. It looks like a few of the bikes need straps under the tail, that definately won't make it after that exhaust heats up. Any suggestions? I need something that will be moderately firm against the bike (for the twisties,) a decent size (for the random junk) and something that looks half decent (i.e. aerodynamic.) Other then that their are no requirments. Material, waterproofing, or make is not an issue. The cheaper the better, but I'll consider almost anything. As always, thanks for any input. Jim

Old 08-15-2006, 07:56 AM
Default RE: Saddlebags

go check out new enough.com i got my cortech sport sadle bags there and there great. no straps go under by my exhaust. there not to big and dont look stupid on the bike. if you want more room you can also get the rear seat bag that attaches to the saddle bags.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:08 AM

ORIGINAL: feedingfrenzy

go check out new enough.com i got my cortech sport sadle bags there and there great. no straps go under by my exhaust. there not to big and dont look stupid on the bike. if you want more room you can also get the rear seat bag that attaches to the saddle bags.
Thanks for the tip!! I'm also going to start traveling a bit with my 06 RR. I mean, I rode a bicycle across the USA before, so the saddle of the RR is a piece of cake for me!!! And I'm 48 yrs old guys so "get up on the wheel & get with it!!"

Did you get black?

I'm thinking that the RED will likely clash big time with the Honda Red on my RR as it's very difficult to match reds. Black is much more all-purpose in color & won't stand out so much either in my opinion. Makes it look smaller.

Did you get the full system with rear bags + tail bag?

Personally, I don't like tank bags, so I'm thinking about the rear system only.

Thanks!!

Old 08-15-2006, 05:55 PM

i use to have a cortech tail bag on my 600RR and it came in handy (was expandable). i know one of our members (jaredf4i) loaded up his CBR to the max while on one of his many insanely long roadtrips. there's a pic of it floating around here somewhere but i'm too lazy to find it

Old 08-15-2006, 06:01 PM

i just got the saddle bags not the tail bag. i figured id save money and just load up my back pack and bungee it back there where the rear seat bag would go. i went with the black mainly cause i have an all black tail, so it does not look bad at all. i was looking at tank bags but for our bikes the tank is plastic and its a pain finding a tank bag with straps as apposed to magnets.

Old 08-20-2006, 02:57 AM

I just bought the full Cortech sport saddles + tail bag combo. Got em in black figuring that they would show less wear & would actually be less visible on the bike. Also that it's impossible to match Reds so it would've clashed with the Honda Red on my RR.

I'll give a report when I get the stuff in & use it.

I'm planning to do some traveling with the ole RR. I LOVE this bike & I'm going to ride it more than just around town & occasional twisties & track etc.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:01 PM

you guys got any pics? I'm shopping for a Cortech saddlebag as well.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a Nelson Rigg tank bag with straps off of Ebay for my F3 that I absolutely LOVE!! Google it or search the bay and I'm sure you'll come up with some options..