RR or F4i?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RR or F4i?

ORIGINAL: slowpoke_dave

got to side with fretless on the subject.
Your size and weight will make the F4i much more comfortable. Clip-ons are higher and more comfortable.
RR has low clip-ons and seat to peg relationship makes bike cramped if you have 34 or so inseam.

May I suggest a naked bike for the first one.
They are cheap to insure.
less plastic stuff to break when you dump it.
Better for around town riding. Nice low and mid range torque. Sit up and can see through the rear windows of the sport-ute infront of you.
lower seat height........more confidence at slow speed.
handels very nice.... most people can't fully push it's limits ( after spring and rear shock change for your weight) I weigh about what you do with full gear on and I'm 6'2'.
The SV is a great street bike. Can be turned into a great race bike to race in twin class or for track days.
Maybe something like a Honda 599 or Suzuki SV650 or Yamaha FZ6

Good suggestion........great all around bike if only going to have one and the first one at that

Old 02-28-2006, 11:40 PM

I think I'm going to have to go to the dealership and sit on some bikes to get the feel. I know it's not going to give a good idea for long hauls, but I can get an idea of what the position would be like.

I just really want an RR!!

I have looked at some used bikes around here but nothing that I see that I really want.

How about a cruiser? Off the wall thought, but would a cruiser be a good starter?

BTW, how easy is it to upgrade bikes?

Old 03-01-2006, 02:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ContactTower

I think I'm going to have to go to the dealership and sit on some bikes to get the feel. I know it's not going to give a good idea for long hauls, but I can get an idea of what the position would be like.

I just really want an RR!!

I have looked at some used bikes around here but nothing that I see that I really want.

How about a cruiser? Off the wall thought, but would a cruiser be a good starter?

BTW, how easy is it to upgrade bikes?
If you really want an RR then get one. The difference in "kill factor" if there is such a thing between the F4i and the RR is not so great that it makes a difference in my opinion. I suggest you take the local Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course, or MSFC, first before you get any bike and since you plan on buying something in a couple of months you have plenty of time to find the course and take it.

As long you respect and know the potential of what ever bike buy but have the confidence to get out there and ride it you should fine in my opinion. Before I bought my 05 600RR last May I used to ride a 1975 CB400F back in 90 & 91. Other then that I used to sell bikes at a dealer Honda dealer for a few months in the summer of 88 and "tested" a few different bikes but I only road the 400F day to day and that was not too often. Funny thing is that the closest call I ever had up to know was jumping on a new 88 Honda Shadow 1200 and taking a turn too fast on it. I was used to taking the same turn on a short wheel base sport bike and totally misjudged it on that long wheel base cruiser. I guess that would be the extreme opposite example of what some people think might happen to a new rider on a sport bike. My point is any bike can be dangerous if you let it.

By the way are you another ATC guy? I ask because of your user name. If so you might want to PM CMHGUY. He works ATC up here in Columbus, OH. Also me and three friends will be down in Daytona from March 8th through the 11th for bike week and the AMA races.

Old 03-01-2006, 03:00 AM

I'm 6'2" and weigh about 230 and I bought a new '06 F4i as my first bike. You cannot go wrong with it. The RR is great too, but a little less comfortable. Performance wise, I truly believe that most sportbikes can out handle the owner by far. Side by side, the RR and the F4i are about the same in acceleration, but cornering might be a little better in the RR. They both have fully adjustable susspension too. I think it boils down to appearance and comfort. On the other hand, if you feel as though you might do something reckless before you're ready, then you might look at the 599, or even a bandit or maybe a ducati monster. I'm a little older and realize the potential dangers so I felt comfortable with either the RR or the F4i. Don't underestimate the power of either. No matter what you get, make sure you get full gear. Don't be a clown with jeans and a T-shirt.

Old 03-01-2006, 03:02 AM

I'm not in atc at all. I'm a pilot and i always hear contact tower on 20.1....contact tower on 1965....etc

That's what I'm thinking about the bike, too. I need to respect it, and I think I would. I was looking at pictures of the RR vs F4i too and I really can't tell a difference but the banana seat, and the exhaust. But I don't know if Honda.com pics do justice.

We'll see what i can do, next major hurtle is financing it. Since I need a co-signer (my folks) they want to see that I can afford it. Right now Honda (and other makers) have deals like "99 a month for the first 36 months" blah blah blah. Is that a good way to go? Or should I go with another lender and pay more? While I don't make alot of money right now, but hopefully in 3 years I will be

Don't know alot about financing, bought my car outright, and my school loans are a different animal.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Old 03-01-2006, 03:06 AM

TRUST ME, I'm a really cautious guy. Seen accidents in Daytona, have friends with ugly road rash. I'm not a hot-dogger, and when i get the bike, I'm buying full gear.

Are ICON and HJC helmets anygood? They seem reasonably priced compared to the Shoei X-11 I drool over.

Jackets? Mesh or Textile OK? Good brands?

Pants? Do i need them?

Remember, I don't want to skimp, but I don't want to get ripped off either.

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2006, 12:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Fretless33

That's a beautiful bike Turbo...

As for first bikes, my starter bike was a cruiser bike, but I had always wanted a sport bike and anyone who has encountered me on another forum (and sometimes this forum) knows I think any "R" bike is a bad starter bike because the geometry are different, lending handling differences that is simply dangerous for a new rider. RR vs F4i, there are differences between the two, but you wouldn't think much of them unless you knew a thing or two about sport bikes. An F4i is a great bike and it doesn't take much to make it a competitive bike on the track, but honestly developing your skills first on the proper bike will do you more justice in the long run.

Some people think that you should learn on the bike you plan to ride, but I feel that you're cheating yourself because if you get on the wrong bike (a bike meant for advanced riders), you'll be triggering survival reactions (reactions that come natural, but are the wrong things to do on a sport bike) and responding more out of fear, than confidence...You need to realize how dangerous these machines (any motorcycle in fact) really are, so you can appreciate and respect it, because these aren't toys, they're a responsibility!

My opinion, if you're going to do it right, get the F4i and in 2007 when Honda comes out with a new track oriented beast, get that if you feel you grew out of your starter bike, because fast isn't what a new rider needs...
I for one would be interested in hearing a bit more explanation & examples of these handling differences, the survival reactions, and bad habits one can develop on an "R" bike that would be a problem for a newbie???

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-02-2006, 01:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Jet Jockey Z06 Vette

I for one would be interested in hearing a bit more explanation & examples of these handling differences, the survival reactions, and bad habits one can develop on an "R" bike that would be a problem for a newbie???

Thanks in advance.
I kind of went off into a tangent in this thread, but there's a few good explanations...check it out:

https://cbrforum.com/m_57269/tm.htm

Old 03-02-2006, 03:44 AM

ORIGINAL: ContactTower

I'm not in atc at all. I'm a pilot and i always hear contact tower on 20.1....contact tower on 1965....etc

That's what I'm thinking about the bike, too. I need to respect it, and I think I would. I was looking at pictures of the RR vs F4i too and I really can't tell a difference but the banana seat, and the exhaust. But I don't know if Honda.com pics do justice.

We'll see what i can do, next major hurtle is financing it. Since I need a co-signer (my folks) they want to see that I can afford it. Right now Honda (and other makers) have deals like "99 a month for the first 36 months" blah blah blah. Is that a good way to go? Or should I go with another lender and pay more? While I don't make alot of money right now, but hopefully in 3 years I will be

Don't know alot about financing, bought my car outright, and my school loans are a different animal.

Thanks in advance for any information.
Get a personal loan from a credit union and get 4000 for a nice used 01-03 F4i, you wont have to keep full coverage on it since it sounds like your young insurance is going to to be crazy. The old ones dont have nanner seats and look great especially for a starter bike. I just seen to many people blow their money on a brand new bike and then trash it and be stuck paying

Old 03-02-2006, 11:32 AM

Thanks Turboedsupe, that's sounds like the best idea I have heard on this thread. The older F4i do look better, especially the one someone has in his signature [8D]. I have looked for bikes online and at dealerships, and have not seen anything yet. But I have some time, and I'll keep looking.