RR or F4i?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RR or F4i?

Hello all.

As a new member here and as someone who does not own a bike, I am wondering, which is better for a new rider? The 600RR or the 600F4i? I'm not a fan of the looks of the F4i, but it seems like it may be a better bike for a new person. I'm looking for a bike to get within a couple months and have been researching this alot. I have no expierence with motorcylces at all (the one time i drove my friends V-star doesn't count). So here is my list of questions. Answers to some or all are greatly appreciated.

1. I'm a big guy at 6' 230lbs. Will the 600RR or F4i be big enough? I think so, but not sure.

2. RR or F4i? Why?

3. How much does it cost to go on a track after I have some expierence?

4. Would another make be better for me? I want to go fast, not going to lie, but I'm really weary with all warnings I see on here!

Thanks in advance for any replies!!

PS Know a good place to get one in the Daytona area?

Jesse

Old 02-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Default RE: RR or F4i?

My first bike was a 2001 F4i. Great looking bike!!! Before they went to that banana seat.

It was the first motorcycle I have ever riden and honestly it was pretty easy. I think with your build you will be fine either way! But definetly stick with the 600. Its PLENTY fast. You wont get bored with it thats for sure. Plus the RR and F4i doesnt have much a difference with top end speed. More of just the look. For sure my next bike with be the 1000RR.

Sooooo if you take my .02 at all.... go for what you like. If you like the look of the RR go for it. If you like the look of the F4i go for it. Sounds like your leaning on the RR side. I say go for it. Take the Riding Course!!! Pass your written and go buy that RR. Honda bikes are the best no doubt. You wont regret it one second you can count on that!!!!!

Now I think your hardest choice is going to be the color!!!!!

Old 02-27-2006, 11:05 PM

I wouldnt waste your money unless you plan on going to the track. I got my 02 f4i with 5k miles for $4200 with 2 helemts and a jacket. Perfect starter and for me i knew i wouldnt be trying to go on a track anytime soon. Im going to be getting a 954 now thoug,. I have been riding it for 8 months now

Old 02-27-2006, 11:35 PM

That's a beautiful bike Turbo...

As for first bikes, my starter bike was a cruiser bike, but I had always wanted a sport bike and anyone who has encountered me on another forum (and sometimes this forum) knows I think any "R" bike is a bad starter bike because the geometry are different, lending handling differences that is simply dangerous for a new rider. RR vs F4i, there are differences between the two, but you wouldn't think much of them unless you knew a thing or two about sport bikes. An F4i is a great bike and it doesn't take much to make it a competitive bike on the track, but honestly developing your skills first on the proper bike will do you more justice in the long run.

Some people think that you should learn on the bike you plan to ride, but I feel that you're cheating yourself because if you get on the wrong bike (a bike meant for advanced riders), you'll be triggering survival reactions (reactions that come natural, but are the wrong things to do on a sport bike) and responding more out of fear, than confidence...You need to realize how dangerous these machines (any motorcycle in fact) really are, so you can appreciate and respect it, because these aren't toys, they're a responsibility!

My opinion, if you're going to do it right, get the F4i and in 2007 when Honda comes out with a new track oriented beast, get that if you feel you grew out of your starter bike, because fast isn't what a new rider needs...

Old 02-27-2006, 11:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Fretless33

That's a beautiful bike Turbo...

As for first bikes, my starter bike was a cruiser bike, but I had always wanted a sport bike and anyone who has encountered me on another forum (and sometimes this forum) knows I think any "R" bike is a bad starter bike because the geometry are different, lending handling differences that is simply dangerous for a new rider. RR vs F4i, there are differences between the two, but you wouldn't think much of them unless you knew a thing or two about sport bikes. An F4i is a great bike and it doesn't take much to make it a competitive bike on the track, but honestly developing your skills first on the proper bike will do you more justice in the long run.

Some people think that you should learn on the bike you plan to ride, but I feel that you're cheating yourself because if you get on the wrong bike (a bike meant for advanced riders), you'll be triggering survival reactions (reactions that come natural, but are the wrong things to do on a sport bike) and responding more out of fear, than confidence...You need to realize how dangerous these machines (any motorcycle in fact) really are, so you can appreciate and respect it, because these aren't toys, they're a responsibility!

My opinion, if you're going to do it right, get the F4i and in 2007 when Honda comes out with a new track oriented beast, get that if you feel you grew out of your starter bike, because fast isn't what a new rider needs...
+1....my first 2 bikes were cruisers...then the next 3 have all been sport

you can't go wrong either way...although the F4i truly would be a better starter...but I LOVE my undertail exhaust and have seen too many people fall because of scraping their pipes on the side

Old 02-28-2006, 12:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Fretless33

... I think any "R" bike is a bad starter bike because the geometry are different, lending handling differences that is simply dangerous for a new rider. RR vs F4i, there are differences between the two, but you wouldn't think much of them unless you knew a thing or two about sport bikes. An F4i is a great bike and it doesn't take much to make it a competitive bike on the track, but honestly developing your skills first on the proper bike will do you more justice in the long run...
You seem to say that there isn't much of a difference between the two, but you suggest the F4i. Just wondering why you would reccomend the F4i when you say there isn't much of a difference a new person like me would notice.

I too have heard rumors about a new 600RR in '07, anything really put in stone about that? A link maybe? I'll do a search on here too.

Old 02-28-2006, 03:25 AM

ORIGINAL: ContactTower
You seem to say that there isn't much of a difference between the two, but you suggest the F4i. Just wondering why you would reccomend the F4i when you say there isn't much of a difference a new person like me would notice.

I too have heard rumors about a new 600RR in '07, anything really put in stone about that? A link maybe? I'll do a search on here too.

Not trying to talk for him but im assuming he reccomends it over the RR because of the price and since most begginers wont take advantage of having a RR (race ready) bike. If you think that you will keep this bike and take it out to the track then get the RR. But if you just want a nice quick bike to learn on and get you ready for a bigger/better track bike get the F4i. I would have got the RR cause of looks but i dont have an extra 3k to throw away

Old 02-28-2006, 03:45 AM

ORIGINAL: ContactTower

You seem to say that there isn't much of a difference between the two, but you suggest the F4i. Just wondering why you would reccomend the F4i when you say there isn't much of a difference a new person like me would notice
That's exactly what I mean, if you don't know much about bikes, you won't know why...let's just say...and this is my opinion, because some don't agree with me...that this is a bike for advanced riders with some established skills. It has features a new rider will never use as a beginner and it might cause you to get into some bad habits, because it's too responsive and nimble for a beginner...but some people think that's good for a new rider, but I disagree, because I think there is no shame getting a tamer bike that will be more forgiving if you make a newbie mistake.

That's the problem with dealerships, because they'll let any Joe Schmoe walk in and as long as they get credit approved or pay cash, you'll ride out with a bike that is totally wrong for a new rider and could potentially cause the rider great harm...

So remember that this is pretty much my opinion, MANY will disagree and tell that they got the RR as their first bike and nothing happened to them, but if you got the right bike as a new rider and worked your way up, you'd more than likely smoke their asses on the track when it came time!

**Rant off**

Old 02-28-2006, 03:54 AM

OK, I understand your opinion and will take that into consideration. I plan on taking th MSF course before I buy my first bike too, so that may alter my opinion torwards yours too. Thanks for your opinion and everyone else who has given their 2 cents.

Old 02-28-2006, 09:46 PM

got to side with fretless on the subject.
Your size and weight will make the F4i much more comfortable. Clip-ons are higher and more comfortable.
RR has low clip-ons and seat to peg relationship makes bike cramped if you have 34 or so inseam.

May I suggest a naked bike for the first one.
They are cheap to insure.
less plastic stuff to break when you dump it.
Better for around town riding. Nice low and mid range torque. Sit up and can see through the rear windows of the sport-ute infront of you.
lower seat height........more confidence at slow speed.
handels very nice.... most people can't fully push it's limits ( after spring and rear shock change for your weight) I weigh about what you do with full gear on and I'm 6'2'.
The SV is a great street bike. Can be turned into a great race bike to race in twin class or for track days.
Maybe something like a Honda 599 or Suzuki SV650 or Yamaha FZ6