Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Questions on buying wrecked bike

Looks bad... I wouldn't

Old 10-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

1st there is nothing wrong with buying a salvaged title bike

2ndly if the bike is coming with a salvaged title then that means the insurance company paid him off for the bike and he probably optioned to keep it. so he is probably just trying to recoup the money that he lost when he optioned to keep the bike.. i wouldnt be suprised if he only paid like 1000-1500 to keep the bike. i think 2300-2500 is fair.. he probably just doesnt want to deal with putting it back together and would rather take the money (which he is probably makinganiceprofit off of... but you'll be getting a nice deal too)

3rd find out exactly what was quoted for when he got the estimate. if he took it to a shop they would be able to tell him if anything was bent like the frame, sub frame, forks etc.

4th it will take some time, money and effort but in the end you could have yourself a really nice bike .. so if you have the cash to drop on the bike and put in for repairs i say do it. if you only have the money to buy the bike and not do any repairs righ tnow i guess that depends how soon you want to be able to ride. it could make for a really nice winter project

Old 10-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't see clip ons or triple clamps. It's iffy at 2g (cost vs value). But doesn't look too bad. Track plastics are cleap as are clip-ons. Look for a set of used forks, upgrade the internals while you're at it, throw in a shock and you may have something....albeit a salvaged something. I'd say a good second bike though.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:04 PM

youre probably going to need tensioners(or a new swingarm) on the back, the wheel is cocked TOWARDS the drive side and thats a bad thing, overtorqued, or bent out of location....

ummmm really, with what its going to cost to make it new again, buy another used one....you can pick up one of these with a clean title and no wrecks down here for 4-5 grand and thats what youre going to spend to have it back blowin and goin....

i would find another bike...

Old 10-11-2007, 01:11 PM

i'd get another bike.....unless u know someone like i did that can do or help u do the work right then ur prolly gonnna loose a bit of money on the labor cost.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:17 PM

2000grand does sound right in order to restore the bike. think about this, you are willing to spend close to or over 5 grand for a salvage bike...
edit..
after the fix, its will work well but you will have the hardest time selling it and it wont be worth much. in the either short or long run you will ending up spend much more than you expected

Old 10-11-2007, 04:07 PM

Well he said that the wheel on the back was bent like that becuase it is broken (as seen in the first pic)

I havnt seen the documents from the shop saying what is wrong but he messaged me saying the frame, subframe, and swing arms are straight.

I am looking for a winter project and kinda planed on gettin the mechanical stuff done first and not worry about the cosmetics for a while.

I dont like the fact that in the end i will prolly spend about the same on a bike that has a salvaged title worth less then what one that i could have got for the same price that has a clean title that will hold more value.

Im torn but i really want a bike.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:05 PM

Is there anyway to get a salvage title back to a clean title??

Old 10-11-2007, 08:37 PM

no! it become salvage rebuild!

Old 10-12-2007, 08:41 AM

I see, well he lowered to 2550 FIRM he said so I told him ill give him 2000 for it. Guess ill just wait and see

Quick Reply: Questions on buying wrecked bike *PICS ADDED*