A question everyone can answer!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A question everyone can answer!

Dad told me, he would pay it off if i would let him burn it!..and swore to never get another.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:37 PM

Man , Well it sounds like everyone was in the same boat at one point.
My mom is really cool about it, but I think she is because she knows I’m going to do it anyway. They were the same about skydiving, they knew I would do it anyway… and its not a rebelling thing, Its just things I think are awesome and want to try.
I like speed, I like when my adrenaline is rushing. Its great!
I guess I’m just different haha

Old 12-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I talked to my parents about me getting a bike months before I actually did. They hated the idea at first and got into huge arguments with them. But then they saw me being responsible about it by taking MSF courses and shopping around to get the best price and looking at gear. Then gas prices shot up to $4.00/gallon (which helped me pull off the "it's fuel economic" thing.)

My parents finally said (after months of nagging at them about the bike) that it was my money, and I could do as I please. I was still in school and paying for it myself, and (at the time) wasn't in debt. They just said that if I need a co-signer, not to ask them. They didn't want to actually help me get a motorcycle. Which I can see why. If I ever killed myself on it, they would have felt partially responsible by helping me get it in the first place. So, I went down to the Credit Union, got the loan myself, and purchased the bike.

At first, my mom wanted nothing to do with it (I was living with them at the time) and wouldn't let me park it in the garage (because she was still mad). But now, she loves it and tells all my nieces and nephews when they come over "Want to see uncle Josh ride his motorcycle?" My dad even likes it and encourages me to ride it all the time, and only drive my car (which is sort of a beater) if it's freezing out.

So, it took a few months, then a few months more, but eventually they started to like it. Being from a family that has never had a motorcycle before, I can see why it took so long.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:28 PM

My dad has a Harley and I ride with him. He didn't care and I have more gear than he does.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:35 PM

I just bought one wrecked it, fixed it and then told my family about it lol. My mom was pissed cause she heard about me wrecking it from another family member (DAMN sisters lol). I just do things like that I am a big kid now and dont need approval. So be careful and dont push it over the edge body damage sucks

Old 12-04-2007, 05:18 PM

My parents have yet seen my bike for 4 months now.

1) Dad said... I guess you're an adult now (22) and I hope that you took the motorcycle safe course and updated your health/life insurance...lol
2) Mom ... did not speak to me for 1 complete month and still to this day doesn't want to here about the bike.
3) My other close family members(2 friends of 16 years and their family) love it and wish me the best with it. And I have their full support.

Working on getting the Dad to sign me up for (2) Keith Code's Schools at VIR in May next year for my graduation [sm=badbadbad.gif]. Better for him then the Corvettes he promised my brother and I...lol

Old 12-04-2007, 05:47 PM

My mom threw a $hit fit, and my dad tells me to sell the bike every time I see him. They have learned to comply, and theyhave realized that I can make decisions now. It helps to be out of the house and on your own when making such a purchase.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:11 PM

got my permit and insurance and came home like hey guys look i got a bike ... lol rocked the yzf for a year and then when they got comfortable i got my 05 rr and its been low flyen ever since .... kinda sucks though to have a nice bike kinda screwed my outa a nice car its ok though i picked up a 95 jetta vr its fun i guess .

Old 12-04-2007, 06:20 PM

First bike, I was 13 working at a dime store for $1 an hour. My brother, at 17, was a lazy bum. He asks Dad, "Can I have a motorcycle?" Dad says, "Sure". Brother says "Great!" Dad says, "You have enough money to buy one, don't you?" Brother pouts. Dad says, "Oh...sorry then, you can't have one."

I say, "Can I have a motorcycle." Dad Says, "Sure". I say, "Great." Dad says "You have enough money to buy one, don;t you?" I say "Yes, I've been working. Please drive me to the Honda shop, I don't want to walk that far, but I will if I have to." Dad gets pale, so does Mom. Being great parents, they won't go back on their word, so I get a Honda Z-50.

Every bike since, I had to buy everything for it. They never paid a dime on motorcycles or related stuff. Everytime I crashed one, they'd say "You gonna quit riding now?" and I'd say "Only until it's fixed/I'm better/I get a new one."

When I turned 16, they bought me a car; came home on my bike, and there it was. "You can quit riding that horrible bike now, we got you a car." It actually took me almost 3 months to take Driver's Ed and start driving the car - I liked the bike better.

Dad left this earth some years ago, but Mom still won't hardly talk about my bike. They either love 'em or hate 'em.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:22 PM

Yeah I have a feeling im going to have to do kind of the same thing.. SURPRISE!!! I got a bike!! haha
My dad's going to hate it. But I got him into Jeeps so I am hoping, I can get him into bikes. lol
How awesome would that be?

Quick Reply: A question everyone can answer!