NOT A BEGINNER BIKE AT ALL

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NOT A BEGINNER BIKE AT ALL

I do understand where you're coming from, and I'm not going to waste time arguing and getting all pissed off over an internet forum. I'm just saying that I wouldn't have bought the bike if I didn't think I could handle it. I have no problem with keeping it in the garage until I know how to ride. I bought the bike at the point in time I did because there was an extremely small window for me to get it (due to financial reasons and limited quantities of the bike/color). I'm trying to be extremely humble about this, I know I have basically no riding experience and this is why I came here for advice. I am by no means a professional rider, not even close. The bike is going to sit until MSF and a more advanced class are completed. I'm not trying to be an *******, but I didn't come off as being cocky or a stupid driver and it just kinda bothered me that you assumed I was....that's what people who don't ride assume all riders are.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:17 PM

but you were being cocky... 5 days of riding and you say it's EASY. do i have to pull out the dictionary again?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cocky

Old 05-11-2007, 10:11 PM

ORIGINAL: knightslugger

but you were being cocky... 5 days of riding and you say it's EASY. do i have to pull out the dictionary again?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cocky
It is a lot easier then I imagined. I guess due to the bike being lighter and easier to move around then I thought. I haven't ridden above 15 mph yet, so obviously riding a motorcycle is not easy for me yet, I haven't even given it a shot cuz I don't have my helmet yet. I said I was picking it up easier then I imagined, which is true. I don't feel like I can take it out on the track or even the highway by any means, so I don't think that I'm cocky. I'm sorry if I said it in a way that made me seem cocky, because that's the farthest thing from the truth in this case. Like I said, I'd rather have the bike sit til I'm ready then take it out too soon and dump it and ruin the bike or even worse hurt myself. If you have any recommendations as to what I do to improve, besides what I have planned, by all means let me know. I came here for help, not to brag about how easy it is to ride a bike. It'll take years before I'm anywhere near the skill level of most members on this site, but that's why I came here. Surrounding yourself with educated riders seemed to be a good way to pick up tips and learn things from the most experienced crowd.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Townshed55
I haven't even given it a shot cuz I don't have my helmet yet.
first, lets take care of your absence of gear. they wont put you on the field without a pair of gloves, boots that cover the heel, a jacket, and a lid. Newneough.com has some great deals on clearance gear. go to a dealership and get fitted for a helmet, don't just buy whatever looks/feels good. buy for fit first and foremost. same goes for gloves boots and your jacket. make sure the gloves and jacket are made of durable leather and protection. a back protector is def. something you should consider.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:10 AM

ORIGINAL: knightslugger

ORIGINAL: Townshed55
I haven't even given it a shot cuz I don't have my helmet yet.
first, lets take care of your absence of gear. they wont put you on the field without a pair of gloves, boots that cover the heel, a jacket, and a lid. Newneough.com has some great deals on clearance gear. go to a dealership and get fitted for a helmet, don't just buy whatever looks/feels good. buy for fit first and foremost. same goes for gloves boots and your jacket. make sure the gloves and jacket are made of durable leather and protection. a back protector is def. something you should consider.
I agree....I wouldn't put myself out there without all of that gear either. But yeah, I just got my jacket today....Joe Rocket Honda mesh jacket (nice new blue/silver color, very nice match to the bike's colors in case anyone was wondering how it matched up) with the body armor pads, including a big back pad, very nice and fits perfectly. My helmet also arrived today, and the idiots sent me a XXL when my reciept clearly says I ordered a large! I tried on the exact helmet at a shop and the large fits quite snug and I was told by the people at the shop that it was a good fit. Now I just have to wait for them to send me the right size! I've been having a tough time finding some pants. I'm looking for a pant that won't be too hot but will still offer me good protection. I don't have a huge budget, so the cheaper the better, but I don't mind spending more to protect myself if I have to. I was looking at the overpants because that seems the best choice for me as I plan on using the bike to commute the short distance to work and around town, any pants in mind? Same with the boots...I'm just completely lost in that department. I'd like something a little lower cut if possible, but I obviously need the ankle protection. Gloves I can go pick up tomorrow hopefully, I don't have to work until night so I should have plenty of time.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:52 AM

I dont know what your size in pants is. but if your looking for Mesh overpants, New enough has a good deal on joe rocket mesh pants for like $57 in the "bargain basement" but its only in certain sizes. basically short and fat.
I buy 100% of my gear from new enough. they are also running a great deal on some Sidi boots, that are low cut and almost look like a pair of high tops.
also check their ebay stuff, I bought my sidi vertabra's on thier ebay for like $145, less than half price.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:47 AM

A beginner rider jumping on a 600rr is only easy to an A motocross racer. Hell after 10 mins they are probably better than half the people on this site.

Old 05-13-2007, 03:29 AM

I agree...motocross riders are crazy....takes lots of skill to do what they do...

Old 05-13-2007, 09:41 AM

hi guys,

I'm from the UK and have been riding for around 10 months. I'd certianly not say my riding is excellent, or that I don't yet have a lot to learn but I do ride a 600rr and find it to be by far the most controllable bike I've ever ridden. Don't get me wrong, it scares me soemtimes and reminds me that I have a lot still to learn and that I do have to give it a lot of respect. Anyways this post isn't about my ability (of which I've lots to learn still) but it is about what we have to go through here in the UK to get on a bike.

So...

At 16 you can take a CBT (Compulsory Basic Training), a day long course that teaches you the bare bones basics of riding physics and some common road sense. Once this is completed you can ride a 50cc moped with no gears bearing L (Learner) plates.

At 17 you can take a category A test. The training for this generally takes 2 to 3 days and once completed allows you to ride a 125cc bike (officially a bike with 33kw power output, so some 400s fit into this and you can have larger bikes restricted).

After 2 years from passing your category A test, and once you are a minimum of 21 you can ride any motorcycle on the road (automatic upgrade).

Or...

At age 21 and above you can do a CBT plus a Direct Access course (generally 5 days) that allows you to have a full motorcycle licence and ride any bike. This course is generally 4 to 5 days and covers everything from roadsense, road law, bike maintenace, slow control, skid control, corner control including counter steering, road riding, U-turns (pushed and ridden), emergency stops, etc etc. The course is quite comprehensive but even after this I still feel you're not ready for the road. I passed with very few minor errors and went onto a Suzuki GSF 400 Bandit as my first bike. Rode this for about6 months then upgraded to a CBR 600 F(W) as I felt it was time to progress my riding skills and the 400 was just a bit too small for my 6 foot body. After a winter of riding the F I took an advanced riding day which helped identify some of my bad habbits (and trust me I had plenty of them). I'm now going on to take the AIM advanced course, the ROSPA advanced course and hopefully some track tuition days.

One of the things I love about biking is that it challenges you, it challenges you every day you get on the bike. So long as you remember this and always respect what you're riding and you're ability to ride it then every day is a good biking day.

As far as I'm concerned I'll never stop learning while riding, and will always be looking to improve because I am NOT the best rider I can be. What amazes me is how easy it is in the USA to just hop onto anything and off you go!!

Old 05-13-2007, 06:07 PM

ORIGINAL: finite

hi guys,

I'm from the UK and have been riding for around 10 months. I'd certianly not say my riding is excellent, or that I don't yet have a lot to learn but I do ride a 600rr and find it to be by far the most controllable bike I've ever ridden. Don't get me wrong, it scares me soemtimes and reminds me that I have a lot still to learn and that I do have to give it a lot of respect. Anyways this post isn't about my ability (of which I've lots to learn still) but it is about what we have to go through here in the UK to get on a bike.

So...

At 16 you can take a CBT (Compulsory Basic Training), a day long course that teaches you the bare bones basics of riding physics and some common road sense. Once this is completed you can ride a 50cc moped with no gears bearing L (Learner) plates.

At 17 you can take a category A test. The training for this generally takes 2 to 3 days and once completed allows you to ride a 125cc bike (officially a bike with 33kw power output, so some 400s fit into this and you can have larger bikes restricted).

After 2 years from passing your category A test, and once you are a minimum of 21 you can ride any motorcycle on the road (automatic upgrade).

Or...

At age 21 and above you can do a CBT plus a Direct Access course (generally 5 days) that allows you to have a full motorcycle licence and ride any bike. This course is generally 4 to 5 days and covers everything from roadsense, road law, bike maintenace, slow control, skid control, corner control including counter steering, road riding, U-turns (pushed and ridden), emergency stops, etc etc. The course is quite comprehensive but even after this I still feel you're not ready for the road. I passed with very few minor errors and went onto a Suzuki GSF 400 Bandit as my first bike. Rode this for about6 months then upgraded to a CBR 600 F(W) as I felt it was time to progress my riding skills and the 400 was just a bit too small for my 6 foot body. After a winter of riding the F I took an advanced riding day which helped identify some of my bad habbits (and trust me I had plenty of them). I'm now going on to take the AIM advanced course, the ROSPA advanced course and hopefully some track tuition days.

One of the things I love about biking is that it challenges you, it challenges you every day you get on the bike. So long as you remember this and always respect what you're riding and you're ability to ride it then every day is a good biking day.

As far as I'm concerned I'll never stop learning while riding, and will always be looking to improve because I am NOT the best rider I can be. What amazes me is how easy it is in the USA to just hop onto anything and off you go!!
UK the dictatorship, first no guns, 2nd no motorcylce 3rd no cars becasue too many people die in automobile accidents...

Quick Reply: NOT A BEGINNER BIKE AT ALL