New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tires

Whats the best tires to buy for my 06 600 rr in terms of mileage. I use the bike to ride to work alot and i put alot of highway miles on my cbr. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:59 PM
Default RE: New Tires

ORIGINAL: Shortysboy09

Whats the best tires to buy for my 06 600 rr in terms of mileage. I use the bike to ride to work alot and i put alot of highway miles on my cbr. Any help would be appreciated.
Michelin Pilot Road would be your best bet. high milage sport tire. perfect for comuting and plenty of grip for a jog down a twisty road. Not a run or a bomb, but a jog.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:03 PM

What about these dual compound tires i see that have the medium rubber on the middle of the tire and the soft rubber on the shoulders. When i get into the twisty roads on the weekends i do ride it a lil hard. Will the softer rubber eliminate some of the slippage i might get?

Old 04-04-2007, 06:57 PM

I have heard that dual compounds are not funt to live with once you get some miles on them. The sides get worn down and I am told you then have a feelable edge that you start feeling like your falling into when you start leaning into curves.....just what Iv'e been told.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Honestly? I love the Diablo Stradas. They are the best combination I have found for milage and grip.

What do I base that on? On my Aprilia, the first set of tires I tried was Dublop 208's. 1000 miles out of the rear, took a while to warm up and then got greasy when hot.Pilot Roads. Got just over 3K out of the rear and that was with cord showing. I got knee pucks down with them so they stuck fine though. Stradas. Just under 4K out of the rear, knee pucks on the ground regularly, and never slipped. Pilot Powers. 1700 max out of the rear, but OHMYGOD they handled nice! Metzeler M1. 800 miles and the wearbars were showing. 1100 miles and you could damn near see the air inside them.

The Stradas lasted the longest and had the best compromise for me.

Big question here is: What riding style? I do a good bit of two up on the Aprilia, and most of that is no **** ***** to the wall, so I tend to chew tires up pretty fast. Anything over 2K miles on arear I consider bonus milage. I also use it to commute though, and that is tame. For a "normal" commuter type rider, I have seen planty of guys get over 10K out of a rear Strada. I have seen guys with Gix 1K's get well over 5K out of them, when everything else was toast in half that.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:53 PM

ORIGINAL: meanstrk

Honestly? I love the Diablo Stradas. They are the best combination I have found for milage and grip.

What do I base that on? On my Aprilia, the first set of tires I tried was Dublop 208's. 1000 miles out of the rear, took a while to warm up and then got greasy when hot. Pilot Roads. Got just over 3K out of the rear and that was with cord showing. I got knee pucks down with them so they stuck fine though. Stradas. Just under 4K out of the rear, knee pucks on the ground regularly, and never slipped. Pilot Powers. 1700 max out of the rear, but OHMYGOD they handled nice! Metzeler M1. 800 miles and the wearbars were showing. 1100 miles and you could damn near see the air inside them.

The Stradas lasted the longest and had the best compromise for me.

Big question here is: What riding style? I do a good bit of two up on the Aprilia, and most of that is no **** ***** to the wall, so I tend to chew tires up pretty fast. Anything over 2K miles on a rear I consider bonus milage. I also use it to commute though, and that is tame. For a "normal" commuter type rider, I have seen planty of guys get over 10K out of a rear Strada. I have seen guys with Gix 1K's get well over 5K out of them, when everything else was toast in half that.
so really, your riding style is nothing like the OP's at all...

Old 04-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: knightslugger
so really, your riding style is nothing like the OP's at all...
Don't know. Who is the OP's? Don't really matter though since everyone I know that has ever tried Stradas loves them too! Does not matter if it's sport, sport touring, touring only, whatever.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:14 PM

OP = Original Post[er]

here's my point: Why spend $100 more than you have to? he's a commuter. A to B in as little time as possible. having a high performance / hyper performance (strada) tire is OVERKILL.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:28 PM

Performance = safety "Any help would be appreciated. " to quote op.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:35 PM

ORIGINAL: jchavers_2000

Performance = safety "Any help would be appreciated. " to quote op.

so i guess that means i should go out and buy some dunlop slicks then eh? performance ≠ safety all the time

Quick Reply: New Tires