Need help with front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 03:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright so I made a lot of progress today. I received the front stand in the mail this afternoon, assembled it, and lifted the front of the bike. When I tried to spin the front tire I noticed a lot of friction so I decided to empty the system and remove each caliper. I d/c the brake lines, removed the pads, pushed the pistons completely in (I did this by hand without any issues so I think they move freely enough to rule them out as a concern), and reassembled everything. I didn't add any brake fluid to the system but the calipers, brake lines, and pads were all installed as if the bike were ready to ride. When I spun the tire I obviously noticed a lot less resistance because there was no fluid but I also noticed my problem. The left rotor is warped really bad and the right side has barely any warping seen. I kind of figured this based on the wear pattern of the pads. The bike was apparently knocked over in the garage and there are very minor scratches on the left side. Do you think this could have anything to do with the rotor being warped? Is it just a coincidence? I found some EBC rotors that are drilled but they cost almost $250 each and on Ebay I found some slotted rotors that are made by skywave and cost $170 for the pair of front rotors and pads or the complete set of all 3 rotors (front & back) and all 3 sets of pads (front & back) from tarazon for $220 total. I'm thinking about buying the front set for $170 since the back seem fine for now. I watched a YouTube video about Chinese made rotors and the guy said they seemed fine but in the comments people claimed the metal and quality/craftsmanship was inferior to something build in the U.S. These Ebay sellers are both sold out of Ontario, CA but I'm not sure where they are assembled. I figure they should work fine for driving around the city and not racing at the track What do you think? How would I know if the wheel got bent? How likely is that? Is that overkill to check? I appreciate your help.