Need Help with Big Ugly Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need Help with Big Ugly Scratch

ORIGINAL: cornell22

how bout having it powdercoated?? or just scuff it up and spray it??
Well, the primary issue is I have never worked with paint before. I don't know how to powder coat anything. I assume that buffing it out would be like first with some rough sand paper, then with some really fine sand paper, then with regular cloth. As far as powder coating goes, I do not know what to buy or where to find what I should buy and then I don't know how to use it.

And then I do not know what type of paint I should use, or where to find the paint, or how to find the right color.

That's why I started the thread. Hoping someone could tell me.

But I guess I can cough up the $130 from the dealer in a worst case scenario. But I really don't need the thing to look absolutely perfect, just not a total attention grabber like it is now. It's pretty broad, bright, and ugly. So I thought I would look into ways of covering it or painting it. Just have no idea how to go about it.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:30 AM
Default RE: Need Help with Big Ugly Scratch

ORIGINAL: f3racer

nice, i thought thats what they are. where you stationed? im stationed at ft stewart but deployed for a few more months
I'm at Fort Huachuca doing TRADOC. I will head to Ft. Riley 28 December for predeployment training and will head to Iraq probably sometime in March for a 12-month Transition Team assignment.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:01 AM

Hey man ... I have a similar problem. I have a nasty scratch on my alternator cover that I want to try and "fix" with some elbow grease. I don't need it to look perfect, and buy a new replacement part for over $100 ... I just want to try and buff it out a bit to make it less noticeable.

Any suggestions on how I could go about doing this? Would coarse-grained sandpaper do this?