My first bike ever... any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first bike ever... any tips?

I am getting my cbr600rr 2006 on Sat, my first real bike ever (after the 50cc honda when I was 13 of course, now 22). I don't know what to expect from it, handling, speed, power-wise. Anyone had this before? How was it?

[IMG]local://upfiles/4622/422CC66E63FF4BEFAF3A38508181F66A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Default RE: My first bike ever... any tips?

My 03 600rr is my first sports bike and i can say that i am very happy with it. The handeling is great. I rode my boys gsx-r 600 and his felt like you had to put more force into turns. As far as the power, if you haven't rode in a while i would just be a little easy on the throttle. Just take your time and get to know the bike. But you have all the speed, power and handeling you could want on the 600rr.....

Old 02-02-2006, 05:42 PM

Congrats on the purchase. Like was said before, just take is easy and really get to know the bike. You gotta respect the power that it can put out. When I first got mine, I spent the first couple of days just riding around my block, trying to get aquainted with it. Then I took the course, and began riding more and more.

Old 02-02-2006, 06:11 PM

congrats on the bike. my RR was/is my first bike. just take it easy....make sure you protect yourself and take the msf course if you already haven't. i've read a lot about people saying not to buy the rr as my first bike...and i took it into very serious consideration. you should also.......but i've been very happy with my decision to get it as MY first bike. i still consider myself a noob...but i'm just giving you my personal experience.

just becareful and ride safe.

Old 02-02-2006, 07:48 PM

Congratulations on the new bike! My RR is my second bike (and my first sportbike), the first being a yamaha 535 virago that topped out at a whopping 90 mph. All i can say is practice, practice, practice!! The RR can be a pussycat, but it can also be a raging lion. Go easy with the throttle, ride it around your neighborhood and get used to it. Take the MSF course, because they'll teach you things that may end up saving your life someday. I was amazed at how easy it was to turn, but the brakes and the throttle can both be a force to reckon with. Just don't be in a hurry to go fast and you'll be fine. Good luck, and happy riding!!

Old 02-03-2006, 10:24 PM

A Virgin 0 mile bike!

You might want to read this http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

My suggestions is to truck it to a dyno.

Old 02-03-2006, 10:47 PM

forgot, dude listen to smarterben about getting gear, and msf course! I just passed mine, and it really helps settle you into riding a street bike.

Good luck, take it slow and be safe.

Old 02-04-2006, 01:25 AM

Watch out for soccer moms in minivans. And don't ride in the rain on the second day you have the bike, I did and let me tell you it's scary as hell! As the others have said, take the MSF course, and also avoid busy roads for a little while. Best of luck!

Old 02-04-2006, 01:27 PM

It has been a while for you. Be careful, take off easy. The throttle is very touchy at first for this type of bike. Atleast until you get used to it.... When, I first bought my bike last year it had been a long time for me since I've riden. I might of been the same the age as you. But, I am older than you are. From the bike the store, I took a ride to a parking lot at a shoping center and spend about half an hour to get a fill for the bike. Since it was 12 miles from the house and I just wanted to play it safe.

Old 02-04-2006, 01:31 PM

Thanks for all, really appreciate it. I had the basic mc training for road and traffic signs, but not as comprehensive as msf. However, I am not gonna go for it now, guess I'll just have to be as extra carefull as I always am. I had plenty of bicycle/motorcross practice as a kid, so I hope to see that pay back. But YES, a 0 miles 10000$ bike! will be delivered to my workplace tomorrow, as today I completed all paper work and legal stuff (you believe I had to settle fines I had on my car which I totally forgot about???!! where did that come from?!). Anyways, that was good advice on breaking in a new engine, as I don't expect to go 65mph straight off, I am also far away from any dyno. I've gotta find an empty road... I am gonna post pics!!!

Quick Reply: My first bike ever... any tips?