low speed handling questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low speed handling questions...

Never rode a sport bike. I am interested in getting a 05 CBR600RR. I would plan on taking the advanced riders class if I get one, where you use your own bike, and had a couple questions for those that have ridden the 05 600RR.

In the original class I took I used the bike provided by the course, a buell blast. It pretty much would idle along at 2-5mph in first without giving it gas, could do the figure 8s in a 22'wide x44'long rectangle, make 90 degree turns, small radius s curves (maybe 5' radius) all pretty much just letting off the clutch and coasting around at idle speed. Bike seemed very well balanced at slow speed and not too choppy. Now matter how many times I thought I might tip it over trying a slow turn, I never did.

How would a 600RR handle at low speed on such a course? I talked to two guys at work that had other sports bikes a few years back and one said you couldn't idle along slow and that he had to let out the clutch at like 4000 rpm to start going and to keep it going smooth on his, and the other guy told me you could let off the clutch in first and coast without giving it any throttle but the bike was choppy and would jerk from time to time. Neither one took the riding course, nor said they ever tried the figure 8s, let alone coasting at such a slow speed, and both thought it would be extremely difficult and that the bikes were more suited for going faster. Don't know what kind they had. It didnt give me a good feeling if wanting to take the advanced course on the 05 600RR.

Anyone try the course maneuvers on an 05 600RR yet, and what was it like at idle speeds? Any input on rpms, speed, and ride qaulity at idle speed would be appreciated.

Also, for the advanced course they like to see you ride a weave, I think 30' spacing, maybe 20', maybe even the staggered 20 cones, with one hand. Anyone try this and how does it feelon the 05 600RR?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-16-2005, 11:20 PM
Default RE: low speed handling questions...

Dude, no worries. i had a F2 back in college, and hadnt ridden since 99. Just got an '05 600rr, had about an hour total time on it and took the course. I never got out of 2d gear, spent most of the day in first. The throttle could get a little jerky at times but I think that was just cuz I hadnt ridden in a while. I had no problems at all on the figure 8s, s turns, u turn box, or any of that stuff. And the one handed weave is cake. By the end of the day I was riding pretty good. Never once felt like I was going to drop it. Just learn to counterlean to get it lower and you should be golden.

Old 08-18-2005, 02:34 AM

I'm just startin' out on a 05 600RR too and from my experience I don't think you can necessarily coast "smoothly" under 4000 rpms without at least feathering the clutch. I'm planning on taking the course at the beginning of Sept. so in the mean time, I'm just doin' what I can around my neighborhood and a local school parking lot. I've tried to do slow figure 8s so I can learn to trust the bike as it turns slowly. And like I said, under 4000, it seems like the engine gets a little bogged down without using the clutch. So that's where throttle control comes in, and it can get kinda jerky. But I'm learnin' too, so this is just my input from what I've felt. It didn't occur to me to counterlean when going slow, but I guess I'll learn that in my class and with some more experience.

Old 08-18-2005, 11:13 PM

im 23, and its been 8 years since i had any safety classes. The hondas ride smoothe but stiff. Low speed handling isn't bad for a race bike just because they are alot lighter than they used to be. when i was 15 riding on 750s and 1000's i was like 140lbs, and 6 inches shorter. That was freakin scary. The new 600s are very rider friendly, even for bike noobs. I have ridden all my life tho, so it could be a different story. If you dont know how to ride very well, get a street legal dirtbike, drop it as many times as you need to getting used to riding, street legal dirtbikes can take a ****load of abuse, just put crossover or street tires, and firm the shocks up alot and it will feel more like a road bike. Then hop on an rr and it will be butter.

Old 08-19-2005, 08:24 AM
Retired Administrator

I am active duty military and as a requirement, have to attend rider safety courses prior to obtaining decals to ride on base. The really slow tight “box” that you make a figure 8 in is a piece of cake on the CBR’s. Both Gixxer’s and the Ninja Grand never made it through the box. They kept tipping over. There were two CBR’s and we both completed the course with little effort.