Issue with my clutch lever

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue with my clutch lever

So I bought a 2006 CBR600rr and i noticed as I was riding that the clutch lever seemed a little funny. I didn't pay to much thought of what it could be. I just thought it was a pinched area or something. But the problem is when I pull in the clutch to shift to the next gear, it will allow me to pull the clutch in but will only release a little bit and then I would have to push the rest to fully be released with my hand. Is it the clutch lever or do I need to buy a new cable? If anyone could help that would be great thanks.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi, have a look at the lifter mechanism on the right crankcase cover , check that the mechanism is returning ok, could possibly need a little oil run down the inside of the clutch cable

Old 06-14-2017, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by CaBaRet
Hi, have a look at the lifter mechanism on the right crankcase cover , check that the mechanism is returning ok, could possibly need a little oil run down the inside of the clutch cable
Ok so I took off my right side fairing so I can check and make sure it was operating smoothly it seems that it moves but doesn't seem to move like it should it somewhat moves. Where would I do the oil rundown like you said?

Old 06-14-2017, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

If you undo the clutch cable at the lever end, you can hold it up vertically and pour oil inside the cable, let it seep through to the other end,pull the outer up and down to release if there's any rust inside the cable, re-attach and see if it works, if not it could be the clutch lifter mechanism that needs attention , but this is the easiest first option, And the tool
Tusk Cable Luber Motorcycle ATV lube tool clutch brake cable | eBay

Old 06-15-2017, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by CaBaRet
If you undo the clutch cable at the lever end, you can hold it up vertically and pour oil inside the cable, let it seep through to the other end,pull the outer up and down to release if there's any rust inside the cable, re-attach and see if it works, if not it could be the clutch lifter mechanism that needs attention , but this is the easiest first option, And the tool
Tusk Cable Luber Motorcycle ATV lube tool clutch brake cable eBay
Ok so I did the oil thing and it worked it now has a lot more free play and the SnapBack that it should. Thank you so much for the help!

Old 06-15-2017, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Glad that's all it was