Insurence and aftermarket exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurence and aftermarket exhaust

I am considering spending quite a bit of money on my bike with new a new exhaust system, sprockets, ss brake lines, and a power commander. I will be riding on the streets fairly often, so I am also considering getting insurence. However, considering no aftermarket exhaust systems are street legal I am worried the insurence will not cover my bike in the event of it getting damaged. Anyone have some knowledge regarding this topic?

Old 05-16-2006, 11:34 PM
Default RE: Insurence and aftermarket exhaust

they don't give a crap, i guess there is a chance if you messed up your exhaust they may not pay for it but considering your posting this in a 600RR section I'm assuming you have an RR. You'd have to have a pretty damn big crash to mess up a 600RR exhaust and chances are the exhaust would be the least of your worries

basically they just don't care if you have an exhaust, they won't have a problem with it in case of a crash so don't even worry about it

Old 05-16-2006, 11:44 PM

insure your bike as stock. then put your upgrades and keep your original parts in case u need to put them back. u know if u include your ugrades your insurance will also go up. this is the way i look at it, if my bike gets stolen or damaged, at least im sttill getting blue book value $ from my insurance (if im lucky) and use that to get another bike. i may have lost $ from the upgrades but the feeling of having a brand new bike makes up for it.

Old 05-17-2006, 12:20 AM

thats interesting my insurance never asked if it was stock or had any upgrades

Old 05-17-2006, 02:56 AM

Whoa, whoa, whoa...YOU'RE CONSIDERING GETTING INSURANCE!? Is that even an option? Are you saying you don't have insurance at this present moment? cuz that's crazy, not to mention illegal.

My insurance never asked about any upgrades or mods. The bike gets insured and that's that. It's pretty much a given that anything aftermarket doesn't get covered, same as with a car. Oh yeah, and +1 with what gajar says.

That's quite a bit of zip you're gonna be adding to your bike, hope you have fun with it and ride safe.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:35 AM

yeah...here in texas insurance is mandatory if its on the street (at least liability). i only have comprehensive, but my insurance covers my bike at blue book plus up to (i think) $1500 in accessories.

you may wanna look into if yours does the same

Old 05-17-2006, 02:12 PM

ORIGINAL: woodyracing

You'd have to have a pretty damn big crash to mess up a 600RR exhaust and chances are the exhaust would be the least of your worries...

+1

Old 05-17-2006, 02:29 PM

ORIGINAL: smarterben

yeah...here in texas insurance is mandatory if its on the street (at least liability). i only have comprehensive, but my insurance covers my bike at blue book plus up to (i think) $1500 in accessories.

you may wanna look into if yours does the same

Mine is the same, $1500 in accessories. I upgraded the Wing to $5000 in accessories. Changed my premium by a couple of bucks on the wing.