First Ticket....need advise

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Ticket....need advise

just picked up my first ticket on the rr. was on my way home from work....i live about 5mins away from where i work, and usually take the access road to get home b/c there are some small twisties on that route. in mid lean...i hear a siren chirp from behind me....i pull into the next driveway of some business and the cop gives me a ticket for speeding.

he said the he cited me for 80 in a 45....no radar or anything. anyone got any advise on how to get rid of this? cbr76...i know you have some experience in this area. any input would be appreciated...

thanks

Old 05-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Default RE: First Ticket....need advise

sorry to hear about your 1st ticket. how much was it for? i don't see how he knows you were doing 80 w/no radar. unless he was pacing you for a while...

Old 05-16-2006, 07:08 PM

he couldn't have been pacing me for long if at all...b/c i wasn't even riding for that long....i got pulled over half way b/t where i live and work....which if i would have made it home probably would have only taken me 5 mins.

Old 05-16-2006, 07:15 PM

so how do you think he came up with the 80?

Old 05-16-2006, 07:28 PM

not really sure...........if it helps....i whipped up a diagram (don't think it does help though).

https://cbrforum.com/albumtn.aspx?si...g125259381.gif

Old 05-16-2006, 08:40 PM

IMHO the questions isn't how he knew you were speeding, the question is were you speeding? If you actually were doing 80 in a 45 pay the ticket, take responsibility for your actions

if you weren't speeding go to court and tell the judge that the cop wasn't following you long enough to pace you and that he didn't use radar and that he was mistaken (obviously don't say the cop lied that won't go to far with a judge)

Old 05-16-2006, 08:50 PM

Police don't need to radar or pace you. They can write a ticket on judgement of speed and it will still hold up in court.

Old 05-16-2006, 09:56 PM

Wait a minute. In Smarterben's defense, he's saying there's no way he was doing 80. If the cop can't prove it either then why wouldn't he argue it?

I say go to court and at least state your case. Worst thing that could happen is you end up paying the ticket anyway. Just wear a tie, be respectful, say "sir" and "your honor" alot and you might have chance.

Old 05-16-2006, 11:07 PM

I'm not saying I wasn't speeding....I'm sure I was, not sure how fast though. I'm willing to take responcibility for but it would be nice if I could get around it. I mean if I could take defensive driving or probation I would take that route (im sure if you've taken defensive driving before...you'd know that its punishment enough).

the officer stating I was going 80mph prohibits me from taking defensive driving bc its over 25mph.

in anycase....if any one has any other pointers that would be great info to have. thanks for the suggestions and input everyone

Old 05-16-2006, 11:31 PM

This is why traffic lawyers exist. Yes they cost money, but probably not as much as paying the 35 over ticket and having it on your record if you are insured.

Quick Reply: First Ticket....need advise