I May Have an 04 RR Bought!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I May Have an 04 RR Bought!!

And I'm hearing that break-in is NOT what the handbook says. Instead, ride it hard up to about 65 mph. Lots of revs in gears 2-4, etc. Go to a dyno if you can.

This is exactly how we break in engines in the airplane world too. Also pretty much how I do my Corvettes. And I've never had engine problems in anything I broke in like that.

Problem is how a newbie rides a 600RR HARD up to 65 mph?? They say the first 20 miles even are pretty critical for getting the rings to seat etc.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Retired Administrator

ORIGINAL: Jet Jockey Z06 Vette

When I spoke with dealer today, he said there was some sort of device they used that didn't even touch the bike & you run the straps to that. Anyone know what that might be?

It'll be about a 475 mile drive home!!!
They're called canyon dancers. I don't like it because it leaves you with one point of failure. I use 4 individual straps on my clip ons to be safe. I use two the securing then connect two more with a little slack in case one breaks. Can you tell I dropped my bike on a trailer before? Then one strap going through the rear pegs and then two more pulling the pegs toward the sides. Plus I have the front tire connected to a post with a small strap. The bike never moves now.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:17 AM

ORIGINAL: doncollins

ORIGINAL: Jet Jockey Z06 Vette

When I spoke with dealer today, he said there was some sort of device they used that didn't even touch the bike & you run the straps to that. Anyone know what that might be?

It'll be about a 475 mile drive home!!!
They're called canyon dancers. I don't like it because it leaves you with one point of failure. I use 4 individual straps on my clip ons to be safe. I use two the securing then connect two more with a little slack in case one breaks. Can you tell I dropped my bike on a trailer before? Then one strap going through the rear pegs and then two more pulling the pegs toward the sides. Plus I have the front tire connected to a post with a small strap. The bike never moves now.
Yep, that's exactly what they said...canyon dancers. Thanks for the heads-up. So are you using the 4 straps PLUS a canyon dancer? Or in place of it?

Old 02-08-2006, 10:39 AM
Retired Administrator

In place of it. I loop the hook on the strap over the triple and run the strap over the grips. Works well for me. I trailered my bike 500 miles and used the WV turnpike. Curves out the *** and not meant for high speeds and I was doing 70-80 most of the time.

I have pics on this thread. Click here

The pics are before the trip and two straps broke. That’s why I double up on every strap now. And buy 800 lbs straps!!! Forgot to say that earlier. I thought the yellow 400 lbs would be enough...wrong. The straps didn't break, the metal buckles bent letting loose of the straps. The metal slide that holds the gear on the buckle... that's what made my bike fall on the trailer at 70 mph. Talk about a sick feeling in your stomach. Watching it fall and praying it doesn't go over the side of the trailer while trying get into the break down lane on an interstate.

Old 02-08-2006, 11:12 AM

Yikes!!!!! That would be a terrible site for sure!!! This is a totally newbie question now, but would it help at all to put the bike on a rear stand up on the trailer or truck bed, etc??? THEN strap it down.

Old 02-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[/quote]

[/quote]

I would not hesitate to use Canyon Dancers in fact I plan to when I pick up my bike in TN. I've read a few reviews on them and have only read good things. I have checked them out personally and they are made up of a very thick heavy nylon and sewn together very well. If I understand how they work, the “system” has heavy nylon shaped like a tubes on each side that go over each grip over each clip on. Then it has a loop on each side for the tie down to attach. This is how it eliminates the steel parts of the tie downs from touching the bike. Knowing you will check the bike at least every couple of hundred miles when you have to refuel, you should check the bike anyway. If you are unsure about the Canyon Dancers then just buy two sets. They are only like $25 each. If you tie down the bike in the front and back then you will not have a problem as long as you keep checking the bike at every stop like I recommend.

One important thing to consider is the method of hauling you use. I think you are going to use a truck bed and that is good because the bike won’t bounce around a lot like it would tied down to a small light trailer.

Opps! I wrote "how they work" before clicking on dons link to the canyondancer.com web site.

Old 02-08-2006, 12:47 PM

Yes it will be in my Toyota truck bed. Sounds good buying 2 of them. Definitely want it secure back there. By the way, how long exactly is a 600RR from front to rear (not wheelbase) overall length?