CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Just bought a new to me F2

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 03:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a new to me F2

Hello Fellow Riders,
I bought a cbr F2 for $400. It was dropped a couple times. Only little damage on the frame and the engine case cover on the left side. All it needs is new fairings (which i already bought for $450 from hongkong) and a little paint on the frame and spedometer glued at the crack. It has a clean title and 32,000 miles. Carbs cleaned last year.

My first bike was CBR F3 and then Cbr 929, 2006 f4i and I currently own a 2003 CBR 954.

There was something so special about my first F3. I loved the looks, the feel of it and overall everything about it. I am sure the F2 isnt much different than the F3. I am going to be rebuilding the F2 now that I bought new fairings and it is going to have a repsol body kit on it. Under $1000 of total investment, I will have a brand new looking bike.

The reason why I am posting this is because I want honest opinion from you guys. After upgrading from F3 to 929 , f4i , and 954 that I currently have and even though i Love my 954 to death, do you think I made a mistake of buying an old F2 considering that the little 600 is very close to today's 600. I am not planning to sell the CBR 954 anytime but I love the looks, handling and the power curve of the F2. What do you think guys?

Old 10-13-2010, 08:59 AM
Thumbs up Just bought a new to me F2

Hey superlund. I personally think you made a great decision buying an F2. Give it some love and restoration and it will be Good-as-new! I have ridden quite a few bikes. An 02 f4I, An 06 1000rr, etc. I purchased an F2 as my first owned bike, And I love it. I can keep up with the newer 600s dispite the weight. But personally, I think you did good. Keep us updated with the Restoration!

Play Safe,
Brandon.

Check out my Pic of my F2 and let me know what you think! Sorry its only 1 pic, I'm posting more soon!

Old 10-13-2010, 04:35 PM

Yeah it should be done in 20 days. Do you know if a F3 spedo/odo gauge will fit F2?

Old 10-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

speedo cable on F2 is linked from front right fork, while the F3 doesn't have one. F2's are still nice bikes!

Old 10-13-2010, 09:49 PM

Thats a steal for $400

Old 10-13-2010, 11:36 PM
Default help!

Thanks for making me happy for a bit but I may not be anymore.
After 1 hour of riding, I parked the bike and i came back after 10 minutes and saw drips of oil to the left of front tire and right below the radiator. After examining where the leak is comming from (thanks god its not the engine), i noticed that both (left and right forks) seal area was covered with oil.

(1) How can both of the fork seals go bad at once
(2) What else could be wrong
(3) Is it bad to ride it like that
(4) What do you suggest?

Note: It only leaks when I am done with riding, and then i do not think it leaks. Please help me out, as I didnt wanted to open another thread

Old 10-13-2010, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by iJapanesey
speedo cable on F2 is linked from front right fork, while the F3 doesn't have one. F2's are still nice bikes!
so your saying if i put that f3 speedo, i wouldnt need the cable anymore? would it still fit / work?

Old 10-14-2010, 01:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by superlund
so your saying if i put that f3 speedo, i wouldnt need the cable anymore? would it still fit / work?
sounds like you just need a new set of seals and a fork oil change. New seals will cost about $35 and you can do the swap in an afternoon if you're relativley mechanical. Otherwise, get a shop to handle it for you. If you like the feel of the front suspension, then I wouldn't bother with any changes internally.

what year bike is it? If it's a 94 it has a little better fork on it than the 91-93 models, as it has adjustable rebound where the others didn't.

If it dives too much, then increase preload, if increasing preload makes the fork rebound too hard/quick for your liking, on the 91-93 you can move up to a heavier weight fork oil - like 10 or 15 wt - to try and control rebound.

As far as riding it that way - you are potentially setting up to get oil on your front rotors, even if it is only dripping out while stopped which is bad news for stopping. Loosing oil also affects your compression and rebound ability. As the fork looses oil, it will become more and more like a pogo stick as all that is left is the coil springs to control motion. Forks that dive excessively can contribute to bottoming out, risking damage to the head bearings, and even the wheel and tire are then required to take a lot more of the impact of something like a pothole or speed bump. forks that rebound too fast can also affect how well you control your lines through corners, causing unneeded weighting/unweighting of the tire causing a loss of grip in situations you probably need it.

F3 speedo/gauge cluster will at minimum need the newer sending unit and all associated connecting bits that pulls its reading off of the front sprocket cover, as the current cable driven F2 speedo can only operate off the front hub.

Most people trying gauge swaps move up to the F4/F4i digital clusters if they're going to go to all that trouble. There's several writeups around here on what is needed to make that happen.

Last edited by adrenalnjunky; 10-14-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:00 PM

I am already doing other projects on the bike such as painting the frame, glu'ing the rear fender and stuff like painting the foot pegs, etc and this bike will cost me exactly $1000 once its all done,I have so many little projects that I do not want to deal with forks, im just gonna have the shop do it. I hope they aren't too expensive but thanks alot for all that info.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:48 AM

Post some pics? I am definitely thinking about tearing down my 92 over winter. I'd like to see what all you are doing

I paid $1500 for mine with 32k miles... So you got a steal.

Quick Reply: Just bought a new to me F2