how well do frame sliders protect?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how well do frame sliders protect?

i am a new rider. i have about 1000 miles exp. my bike was totaled in a accident when a girl made a right on red in front of me. it was a 05 f4i.

next year i will have to cash to go get a new rr. chances are i am going to drop it again. i went down on gravel before the accident. and was woundering if i get a new rr and put vortex sliders on it if i go down at lower speed will i have much dmg to the fairings or anything?

i am unsure if i want to go get a new bike or get a crappy little one to learn to ride better on.

if i get a older one i am not going to spend more then 2500. and it will probley be a crusier or a ninja 250 or 500.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Default RE: how well do frame sliders protect?

In all honesty, getting frame sliders on a bike you will probably lay over is a bad idea, I would go with the beater.
It's cheaper in the long run to learn on a POS then to have to buy brand new fairings for a bike you just spent 9K+ on. Also, if you haven't been to a basic riders course I would fork out the cash for that. Sounds like you could use the experience.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:42 PM

i have taken the msf. i probley will end up buying a rr thought beucase i will be starting college and will keep it for a while. even if it goes down i can deal with same cracks and scraches. i just want to be able to have a bike i can have more fun on when i have more experince insted of having to try to sell a bike then buying a new one while paying for college.

the thing that wories me is the rr seat is taller than the f4i right? i could not flat foot the f4i. so i am thinking the rr is going to be to tall and i am going to have to get something else. probley a daytona 675 if the rr is to tall. i hope i can thought becuase i realy want a rr.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:59 PM

The vortex sliders are ok and minimalist at best (from experience) and just barely protect the engine/frame in a low-speed lowside, i.e., what sliders are meant to protect, not fairings. I havea set of FIcages.com sliders I ordered twoweeks agocoming my way and should be on my bike before the end of the week. They are supposed to be long enough so a low to moderate speed lowside won't trash your bike, like having brake levers, mirrors, cables, andbar endsbent and broken off.
If you put yourself in the mindset that you'll fall/drop it, the chances that you will drop it skyrocket.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:19 AM

im a very new rider myself, I tend to just putt around town. I turn slower than dog**** but im slowly learning I guess. I try to be very careful cause its a brand new 2006 rr. Its my first bike, and im learning on it, and the last thing I want to do is put the poor thing down. I was thinking though, all safety aside, if I ever fell down in traffic, I would feel like an utter jackass. I could just see pedestrians coming to help and im just scrambling to get back on the bike and get the hell out of there before somebody recognizes me.

ha, does anyone relate to that? If I ever saw anyone put their bike down, Id definetly go help them, and I wouldnt want them to be embarrassed but im sure thats a natural response for the rider to have

anyone have experience like that?

Old 09-04-2007, 11:54 AM

I use vortex sliders on all my bikes (including my Ruckus lol)
crashing sucks, nothing you do will protect the bike completely. Crash cages and long sliders sounds great as long as you don't actually crash at speed. Long sliders are much more likely to break off, or worse dig into the ground and send the bike into a wild flip. Short sliders don't completely eliminate that but they definitely reduce the chances.

if you really want to crash protect a bike, you need rearsets with solid mount pegs, frame sliders, and aftermarket clip-ons. Oh and drill a small hole about a 1/2" from the ball tip of the levers.

if your just talking about dropping the bike and protecting the fairings thats not what sliders are for.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frame sliders are meant to protect the frame, nuff said.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:08 PM

True about the frame. I think they are great if the bike falls over but when I had my accident they were ripped off the bike not long after hitting thte ground.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was directing that at people that believe the sliders will protect fairings etc. and in some cases they will. They aren't meant for that.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:35 PM

Sliders are always a good idea. I disagree when people say that sliders won't protect fairings. Nothing will protect fairings completely, but sliders prevent a lot of fairing surface area from hitting the ground, especially in low speed crashes. Just make sure you get plastic/delrin sliders. Don't get the aluminum.

Quick Reply: how well do frame sliders protect?