Homemade Seat

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homemade Seat

Here's my story.

I have a 2008 RR and I wanted to get some additional comfort in my seating. I sent it to a place in Florida for a seat mod that cost $75 and was not impressed at all. I guess I can't expect much for $75, but at least the guy refunded my money. Next, I found a local shop that does custom seats. I gave them specific instructions as to what I wanted, and $200 later, I had a custom seat that I was not happy with at all. I took it back and they did it over and the result was much the same. Essentially, it was a flat, soft, mushy plank that offered no reduction in the hot spots where you sit on your pelvis bones.

I got so frustrated that I decided to buy some foam and build a seat myself. No, I have never done this before, so I was quite nervous since I was leaving on a trip in a couple of weeks. If I messed it up, then I would not be able to go on the trip. I can understand now why Rocky Mayer charges $400+ to do a single seat. I have included some pictures. Please note that the cover was made by the local custom seat builder. Upholstery is way out of my league, even though I had to remove the cover and re-apply it.

The pictures show the work in progress. I used different firmnesses of foam. The yellow foam on the top worked very well for my 700+ mile trip, but I knew that it would probably break down over time. I have since stripped it off and have replaced it with a firmer, more resilient foam.

The overall result is astounding. The new seat works brilliantly. I am not saying that because I made it. This is the third iteration and I believe that this would be considered a finished design.

One thing I learned is that shape is critical. Another thing is that grinding foam with an angle grinder is not nearly as easy as it sounds.

The seat pan is stock. I stripped it to the plastic base and built it up from there.

http://server6.theimagehosting.com/a...hp?album=37909