Help with scratch touch ups on fairing

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with scratch touch ups on fairing

*I tried to do a search on this and it did bring up some good info, but most posts were related to repainting entire fairings.*

I bought my 600RR with some very minor scratches (not road rash) on both sides of the tail fairing.

On one side, I was told it was from laying the bike down from a stand-still (bike has frame sliders).

On the other side, it looks like they were scratches from a buckle...probably the saddle bags that also came with my bike.

Anyways, I know the blemishes are minor, however, the OCD in me really wants to touch them up.

I've attached images of the damage. I'm wondering from you experts what would be the best way to touch this up?

I've been reading about the Color Rite touch up pen or 2oz brush, but would that be enough? Do I need a primer for the black spots? Also, will buffing with a wax remove the lighter scratches?

Any info or tips would help. Thanks in advance!

Name:  600rrRight.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  91.5 KB

Name:  600rrLeft.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  81.5 KB

Old 10-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The colorite pen will "hide" the black in the scratches but the only way to really repair those is to do it properly with fill and a repaint. I don't know how bad your OCD is but those pens, while very close to the color brand; will never match the OEM paint. Just depends on you. Do you want to mask it or do you want it to look new? Cheapest solution would be to cover it with a sticker. lol

The white marks however I've had have success before with elbow grease, clay baring followed by a good wax. Might not be able to get it all the first time but you should be able to get it eventually.