HELP! Fuel octane question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP! Fue octane question

I've been an ASE Master Tech for 15 years and have always had high performance cars, usually with power adders and timing advanced so I always used 93 octane.

That's why I was dumbfounded when I was reading my owners manual for my '05 600RR and it said to use a min. of 85 octane[sm=wtf.gif]. Since these bikes are high compression, it does not make sense that such a low octane would be ok. I am assuming that there is some sort of knock sensor that can retard the timing if lower quality fuel is used.i run 93 just to be safe.

When I worked at a Lincoln/Mercury dealer, we had a problem with a hard start in the morning (taking too long to start). The engineers found out that the people using 93 octane were the one's having this problem because the flash point was so high that the cold engine didn't want to light the fuel[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 01-16-2008, 12:55 PM

ORIGINAL: alecracing

When I worked at a Lincoln/Mercury dealer, we had a problem with a hard start in the morning (taking too long to start). The engineers found out that the people using 93 octane were the one's having this problem because the flash point was so high that the cold engine didn't want to lightthe fuel
What part of the country were you seeing hard starts due to using hi-octane?

I have used hi-octane since I started riding my kawi. I was told to do it by more experienced riders and like the majority here don't feel like the diff in $ is worth the chance that lower octane may damage the engine.

The post about using lower octane to achieve better mileage numbers is interesting though. When running on 92 the kawi wasn't getting very good mpg maybe 45-50. Not complaining, but when I went on group rides we had to stop for me b/c I was running low alsoit doesn't have a fuel gauge either[>:]

Old 01-16-2008, 01:38 PM

Seriously. It costs like 12 bucks to fill your tank. If you dont want to worry about mileage or money spent. Jump in your car and drive around for a month. Problem solved!

Haha

Since these bikes are high compression, it does not make sense that such a low octane would be ok. I am assuming that there is some sort of knock sensor that can *retard* the timing if lower quality fuel is used.
Lmao did you mean to use that word? [sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 01-16-2008, 09:19 PM

^retard dosent mean stupid, it makes sense how he used it.

on the octane note, my bike says 91 under the seat, but who sells 91? its always 93 or 89 here. I never paid attention to the PON vs. RON, i will have to look into that, pretty interesting.

oh and yeh, i run 93, the extra $1 per tank isnt that bad.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:42 PM

we COULD argue this for years..bottom line is run what you want. its a Honda, it probably isn't going to blow up anytime soon, oil change, ****ty gas or not. these things are top dog!
BUT, i run 93, maybe i am brain washed, but i prefer it. havent had a problem yet.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:21 AM

gville george that says 91 RON which is in europe and for us thats 87.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:23 AM

yes iroc DD=daily driver... I live on long island where the traffic volume is insane, so unless its 70+ degrees out and the sun is shining I dont ride, too many other road hazards, i need hot tires and no sand to ride well enough not to die around here.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:25 PM

I live in South Florida so I didn't see too much of this problem, but we did have a car come in every once in a while for this complaint. If the problem is big enough for Ford to issue a TSB (technical service bulletin) than it had to have been happening all over. Keep in mind that Ford did not have this problem with any other engine's so it was specific to the 4.6L engine.

And for CBRjockey, to retard your ignition means to turn the timing back, to advance your ignition, you are increasing the timing. Most engines have a base timing somewhere around 10 degrees BTDC (before top dead center). In other words th spark plug sparks when the crankshaft is 10 degrees before piston #1 get to the top. This gives the "flame front" time to travel down the combustion chamber in precisely enough time to push the piston down at the perfect time. If spark happens too early, the flame front hits the piston on the way up (detonation or pinging), this will destroy your engine. If plugs spark after TDC, then power is wasted because the piston is already heading down when the flame front reaches it.[X(]

Old 01-17-2008, 07:05 PM
ox.

you also have to remember that the valves stay open for a realitivly long time on performance motors and some of the pressure is pushed out the exhaust. this helps with exhaust scavenging. if honda set the timing for 87 then thats fine to run.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:31 AM

From the 2008 Owners Manual:

Premium unleaded - 91 octane or higher (we have 91 out here in CA)

"We recommend you use premium unleaded fuel because it produces fewer engine deposits and extends the life of exhaust system components....Use of a lower octane gasoline can cause persistent 'pinging' or 'spark knock' which, if severe, can lead to engine damage...." (pg 91)

EASY, the bike runs better on premium, PERIOD! Don't be cheap and save less than a buck when you get gas. Jeez, to me it's STUPID to put anything less than the best and recommended fuel in these high performance motorcycles.

Quick Reply: HELP! Fuel octane question