HELP! Fuel octane question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP! Fue octane question

the thought that higher priced higher octane fuel is "Cleaner" than a lower octane fuel is absolutely ludicrous. lemme ask you this... how many people BUY high test fuel? how long do you think that crap sits down there before more is ordered?

now i'm sure we ALL understand the whole octane stuff. run what honda tells you as minimum, or as you see fit. be sure you know what the hell you're talking about though. Honda publishes 93 RON. that's not the standard we use in the United States. Here, we use PON, or Pump Octane Number, aka MON+RON/2. if you do a little looking and some rudimentory mathmatics, it turns out it's something like 87.5 PON.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:08 AM

ORIGINAL: be vertical

Actually there is a reason for your bike requiring high octane. Nice to know that everyone who speaks on this forum is a mechanic.

i wasnt implying that i am a mechanic this was a dilema involvin accidental 87 octane fill up...which in my own personal opinion didnt seem like a big deal seein how i have run bout 9k miles w/ unleaded gas(i know ppl have went more but i have only got 9k so far :P) and noticed better mileage and cheaper fill ups. i never expressed my mechanical opinion, simply my own opinion and what i had heard.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:05 AM

ORIGINAL: knightslugger

now i'm sure we ALL understand the whole octane stuff. run what honda tells you as minimum, or as you see fit. be sure you know what the hell you're talking about though. Honda publishes 93 RON. that's not the standard we use in the United States. Here, we use PON, or Pump Octane Number, aka MON+RON/2. if you do a little looking and some rudimentory mathmatics, it turns out it's something like 87.5 PON.
+1. Good info.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:30 PM

sorry... may have come off a little harsh there iroc. It just that, to me, RRs are made to be the base for the development of race bikes. mpg and cost effectiveness were not seemingly a high priority for honda. really its the difference between one to two dollars per fill. i live in ny, we pay like 330 for reg and 350-360 for high test. if you want range, change gearing. your on a bike anyways, getting almost double the mpg you would in a car. also, the RR was not intended to be a DD vehicle. if you want to do that on two wheels get a 250 or a vespa. this point just seems null to me for 1 to 2 dollars a fill.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:05 PM

the thought that higher priced higher octane fuel is "Cleaner" than a lower octane fuel is absolutely ludicrous. lemme ask you this... how many people BUY high test fuel? how long do you think that crap sits down there before more is ordered?
I think its cleaner. I'll be happy to pay just 75cents more to fill up for Exxons Techron or Shells stuff. And I dont think it sits down there too long since I buy my gas where there is a lot of costumers.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:14 PM

Ive done fuel tests for 87 and 93, don't have my specs either these were run years ago. 93 is cleaner with more additives. Now i also did my own real life experiment and filled my P71 (police interceptor crown vic) with 87 (required) for 15k miles and took my fuel pump and injectors apart. That **** was FILTHY and this was mobil 87, fuel pump was clogged and so were the injectors. After putting a new pump in it and new injectors i filled it up with 93 and ran it again for 15k miles. It was much improved and injector flow test proved that none of them were clogged. Took the fuel pump apart and it was clean. Now this is whats required by ford and thats 87 and thats what i ran.

Now on another note i run 93 in my car because 91 is required. On a trip to Montreal couple yrs ago i stopped by a gas station pretty much in the woods and filled up with 93. A couple miles down the road the car started running like crap, running lean and bogging like mad on the highway (i had my scanner with me in the car and monitored the whole thing.

Ok it requires 87 and some people will live with that (im sure thirdgen only puts 87 in and is up to 115k miles) but in some states 87 isnt as clean as 93 because of the weather conditions and climate. Believe it or not 87 in FL is dif then 87 in MA. Now ever since ethanol has been put into gasoline its been causing havocs with older in ground gas pumps found at DPWs and police stations. The water in ethanol tends to rust it out and cause expensive damage to cars.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:16 PM

Like someone said is 75c every fill up really gonna kill you? And the reason u get better gas mileage is because the bike is "designed" to run on 87. I run 93 personally because of what ive seen 87 do lol and i get around 160miles before the light comes on.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Nauree

I think its cleaner. I'll be happy to pay just 75cents more to fill up for Exxons Techron or Shells stuff. And I dont think it sits down there too long since I buy my gas where there is a lot of costumers.
just understand that those customers fill up with 87 50:1 over 91

Old 01-15-2008, 05:34 PM

Then again we could argue this for years and years

Old 01-15-2008, 06:09 PM

ORIGINAL: be vertical

sorry... may have come off a little harsh there iroc. It just that, to me, RRs are made to be the base for the development of race bikes. mpg and cost effectiveness were not seemingly a high priority for honda. really its the difference between one to two dollars per fill. i live in ny, we pay like 330 for reg and 350-360 for high test. if you want range, change gearing. your on a bike anyways, getting almost double the mpg you would in a car. also, the RR was not intended to be a DD vehicle. if you want to do that on two wheels get a 250 or a vespa. this point just seems null to me for 1 to 2 dollars a fill.
np man we are good...is a DD=daily driver?
i ride my bike every day ..even in this blue @ss cold weather(not to b confused w/ knightsluggers bluer @sscolder weather)...i love it and i wanna rack up 10's of thousands miles on it...i also dont intend to sell this one any time soon

Quick Reply: HELP! Fuel octane question